Bonsai forum

Looking for tips, advice

• HannahN
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Looking for tips, advice was created by HannahN

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58912
I am very new to bonsai. My dad purchased one for him and I to work on together, after a couple failed attempts at growing them from seeds. We got a Mound Juniper, and I am not sure where to start in terms of pruning. I am looking for general advice with what I should do first. I also live in a very hot area so I am trying to find a spot outside that has morning sun and afternoon shade.

Thank you in advance!
by HannahN

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Spot Beagle
  • Thanks received: 13

Replied by Spot Beagle on topic Looking for tips, advice

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58939
wait a few years
by Spot Beagle

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 856

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Looking for tips, advice

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58940
Junipers need sun. You need to remember that the strength in Juniper is in the foliage, so don't go removing a huge amount of foliage, do not pinch the foliage, use shears when you do prune. Unless the soil is not permeating well there is no need for re potting. Use a balanced fertiliser through the spring and summer, and water when the soil is almost dry. Once you have the basics then you can think about styling what is a reasonable piece of material. I would suggest that you buy a book, there are many good ones, and also join a club. There is nothing better than being shown and helped with working on any tree. The courses on here are excellent, I have bought most of them and they are well worth it.
by m5eaygeoff