• Pinkham
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

fertilization was created by Pinkham

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1515
hey folks.
Here is some information I found a while back. I think it's useful information for all of us regarding fertilization. enjoy :)........................................

> Probably the most important rule about fertilizing is to never feed a tree that is under stress. The causes of stress are many, ranging from over watering or under watering to newly pruned roots or disease.

> Once again, it is so very important to know what type of tree your bonsai is.
Different types have specific needs as to the type and frequency of fertilization.

> Many enthusiasts who have some experience think the safest method, with no fuss, is 4 month type of 14-14-14 time release fertilizer, such as Osmocote. This is incorporated right into the potting mix or sprinkled on the surface and worked down into the mix.

> Most broadleaf trees and tropicals can be fed with any general houseplant or garden fertilizer.

> Conifers, azaleas and certain others can benefit from a monthly application of an acidic fertilizer, such as MirAcid.

> Some growers include hormones such as Superthrive in their regimen to stimulate root production.

> Trees should only be fertilized when in periods of active growth. This is generally from midspring through early summer and from late summer to early fall.

> If your summers are extremely hot and your trees are outdoors, do not fertilize until temperatures have moderated and growth has resumed.

> Likewise, do not feed trees in winter when they are either dormant or growth has slowed down.
by Pinkham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: fertilization

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1555
Hey Lance,

Thanks so much for the useful information! Good stuff to know! ;)

The only thing I question is winter feeding for indoor trees. I've read with regard to indoor trees once their growth has slowed down, reduce the frequency of feeding from once every two weeks to once a month. The exception is if they have stopped growing then is the time to stop feeding.

Any comments on this?
by Leslie

• Pinkham
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: fertilization

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1557
Leslie,
That is pretty accurate info on indoor trees.
I think trees getting natural sunlight will grow slower in winter, due to less sunlight.Since the growth is slowing the tree doesn't need as much food.
I have a schefflera as my only indoor tree and that's what I do with it.
Have I posted a picture of her ?
by Pinkham

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: fertilization

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1569
Why, thank you Sir Lance! :P

I don't believe you have posted a photo of your Schefflera! I would luv to see it, please. :cheer: I had a large one for many years inspite of the abuse it took, it kept growing like a weed! I now have a mini arboricola which I will bonsai when it is ready. Looking forward to seeing your photo!
by Leslie