Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Sudden loss of leaves. 3 years 7 months ago #62869

• Valtiel
  • Valtiel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Obrigado, Clicio!
I've kept my tree in my room, closed the door so the cat won't try to chew it as it always does.
So far it's been catching a lot of sunlight. I've only been watering it when the soil gets dry, and being close to the window it gets lots of fresh air. I'm noticing some new leaves showing up, but I think it might take a while until the tree fully recuperates.
By the way, should I expect some leaf loss in winter? I'm assuming keeping it it warm and humid during winter will be key.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sudden loss of leaves. 3 years 7 months ago #62884

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Should I expect some leaf loss in winter? I'm assuming keeping it it warm and humid during winter will be key.

Yes, it will probably happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valtiel

Sudden loss of leaves. 3 years 7 months ago #62887

• GWENFORE
I purchased a Serissa foetida variegata 8 months ago and the leaves are turning brown on one side of the bonsai. I have placed it outside for indirect sunlight but the leaves continue to drop. I water it twice a week. I have subtropical soil mix. It is placed in the bathroom with humidity level around 50% and indirect sunlight. I need help with my young Serissa.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by GWENFORE.

Sudden loss of leaves. 3 years 7 months ago #62960

• Valtiel
  • Valtiel's Avatar Topic Author
Figured I'd update this a bit.
I brought the bonsai to my room a few weeks ago so it could catch more sunlight and have been watering only when needed (read, when the soil was dry). Also fertilized it this last Tuesday.

Sadly leaves just keep dropping and it's at this current state. Weirdly enough, the plants on the side keep growing and blooming even.

Also noticed this white powdery stuff for quite a while now. Could it be fungi?

Anyways, I've been doing as you guys said: Lots of sunlight, watering when needed only. Wondering what your opinions are on the state of the tree and what I could do.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sudden loss of leaves. 3 years 6 months ago #62997

• WeeTree58
For me here in Melbourne Australia there is a wide range of temperature from 3-4 cel in winter to 42-44 cel in summer and for me there is no such thing as an indoor bonsai tree, trees need to be outside, but provide protection for the extreme temperatures - cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
I also maintain a fairly open mix so overwatering is less of a possibility and you can water with more confidence.
The 3 main things bonsai need are water ,air and sunshine not something you get from having the tree inside.
Cheers
Glenn

Sudden loss of leaves. 3 years 6 months ago #62999

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Figured I'd update this a bit.
Anyways, I've been doing as you guys said: Lots of sunlight, watering when needed only. Wondering what your opinions are on the state of the tree and what I could do.

Many issues at the same time, Valtiel.
The white stuff is calcium deposits from your tap water. See the edges of the pot? Full of hard whitish calcium?
Yes, rain water is the best.
Then, the stones; they are cool, but they are not allowing the water to go down to all your rootball.
Same here with the suckers and the weeds; they look nice (and see how happy they are? They are not dying...) because they are taking all the nutrients in the soil and leaving nothing for the roots of your bonsai.
So, IF the tree was mine, I would take the pebbles off, the suckers off, and would try to get a better quality water to water the plant (which is difficult if you live in a flat).
Carmonas are NOT the easiest trees to keep happy indoors, so don't feel too bad about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valtiel

Last edit: Post by Clicio.
  • Page: