Bonsai forum

Advices for cryptomeria and juniper

• RedRocket
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Advices for cryptomeria and juniper was created by RedRocket

Posted 3 years 7 months ago #63017
Hi everyone !

I'm relatively new in the world of bonsai. Last spring I bought young cryptomeria and juniper from a nursery. I'd like to train them to become one day truly formed bonsais. I read some books like the Naka to learn the basic techniques. So now I need some advices to take care of my trees correctly ^^' My project for the juniper is to give him a cascade shape. And for my cryptomeria I'd like to train him to a shokan style.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.

They have grown nicely during the summer. But I think I was too impatient with the juniper and I already wired it (and badly) to give him a shape. Now there is a big mark on the trunk... This mark will disappear over the years I guess ?

I didn't touch the cryptomeria during all the summer. But now there is some curvatures on the trunk. How should I fix this ?

When should I start to wire, pruning and pinching them ? And how ? I live in a mediterranean region with a hot and long summer.

Every advice and critic will be very helpful !!

Thank you for your help :)
Last Edit:3 years 7 months ago by RedRocket

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by RedRocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Advices for cryptomeria and juniper

Posted 3 years 7 months ago #63018
I think you should remove the wire as it is biting in quite badly. The Cryptomeria is very young and needs a lot of growing to thicken the trunk. I think you just need to allow it to grow for a year or two. The Cryp trunk is very straight I can't see any bend if significance, so I would leave it for the next year. In the spring start to fertilise and do so all summer, you could use some seaweed extract now, and if your winter is mild then through the winter as well.
by m5eaygeoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.