Bonsai forum

What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

• PlantDaddy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner) was created by PlantDaddy

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63086
So I received a bonsai starter kit as a birthday gift and decided to give it a shot. I know that starter kits are not the best option but I've always loved bonsai trees and I figured, at the least, I could just treat these as my introduction into the world of miniature trees.

So far, I have only planted my 5 Pinus Aristata seeds. I have planted them in the rather small, but deep, plastic pot that my kit came with. Since then, I have purchased a set of 6 inch "trainer trays/pots" for the future. I've red that planting the seeds, spaced out together in the same pot, is a common way for seed starting bonsai trees. I am just unsure of when to move these 5 seedlings out of their initial small pot, as they are already about 2 inches tall and rather close together.
And for the 3 other sets of seeds, I'm wondering if I should skip the pots that came with the kit all together. Should I start them in the shallow, wider training trays? Should I only keep a certain amount together?

I'm not looking for tutorials or detailed explanations but I would greatly appreciate some beginner tips for seed starting. I don't have much hope for these but I would still like to learn and try my best. It would be nice to see at least 1 of them survive and grow into a beautiful bonsai.

Additional Info:
If you're curious, in this kit I received multiple seeds for 4 different kinds of trees:
1. Pinus Aristata
2. Picea Abies
3. Jacaranda Mimosifolia
4. Delonix Regia
I live in Arizona, where it's pretty much hot year round. So I have the Pinus Aristata seeds indoors right now but after doing some research I found that these are more of an outdoors bonsai tree.
by PlantDaddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63088
You do not start bonsai from seed you grow trees. All species of trees are outdoor species and will not survive inside. Read the how to on this site.
by m5eaygeoff

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63091
As m5.. says: outside. There is no such thing as an indoor tree ( not one tree in the entire world lives naturally indoors).

Treat your seedlings like you would treat every other seedling: let them grow and repot when needed. They are 10-15 years away from being a pre-bonsai so the first decade or so there is nothing more to do then purely horticultural. Shallow pots, bonsai soil, bonsai fertiliser, .. all a waste of money. Good potting soil, a container ( or better into the ground), and general fertiliser are all they need.

If ( and most beginners are) you are eager to someting "bonsai-ish" look around in nurseries for junipers, mugo pines, ...that you can find in abundance there. Look for a twisted trunk, some good branches, . Start your bonsai journey from there. By the time you will have some knowledge your seedlings will be old enough to do some real work on.
Do bear in mind that turning a tree into a bonsai takes time ( decades), and the use of numerous techniques on specific moments in the year, depending on a lot of variables...
by lucR

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63099
In addition to nurseries, look around neighbor's yards. If somebody is relandscaping they might be willing to let you dig up an old shrub or two. I have more azaleas than anybody needs right now, a boxwood, and some others.

Another idea is layering an existing tree. You get something with a thick trunk pretty fast.

Whatever you do, remember that the biggest thing you need for bonsai is patience.
by Ivan Mann

• Towanda1990
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Towanda1990 on topic What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63397
beginner here, but i would think that saying "all species of trees....will not survive inside" is a bit of hyperbole. I think most everyone can point to houseplants of our own that are trees growing indoors just fine.
by Towanda1990

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63398
Many so called house plants are species that grow in rain forest or in shady low light conditions and are able to survive in the poor conditions in a house. There is a big difference to those and the trees that grow in temperate or colder regions that need seasons including cold in the winter and also a much higher level of light at any time. There may be a few species that do survive inside but that does not mean they grow well or that they would not be much better in the natural environment. Time after time in this forum we have people saying they have a Juniper that has died and every time the plant has been inside which has killed it.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: BofhSkull, Towanda1990

• Towanda1990
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Towanda1990 on topic What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63400
i was more referring to baobabs, ficus, and such that are commonly kept indoors. i didnt even know people kept junipers inside lol. didnt think that was a thing.

thanks for the information!
by Towanda1990

• Aivar1988
  • Thanks received: 11

Replied by Aivar1988 on topic What is the best way to start bonsai trees from seeds? - (Extreme Beginner)

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63420
by Aivar1988