Bonsai forum

Juniper nana

• Sab
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Juniper nana was created by Sab

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63113
I found in another thread the answer to my question which was of great help to me. I am not sure how the forum works but I have subscribed to that thread to read any follow ups. I bought the dreaded mallsai (which I found out about after having bought it :( I got my mallsai in the spring and transplanted it properly with better soil and removing the glued rocks. I didn't plan on doing any thing to it until next spring but now it appears it had too much sun. This was one of the answers to a question asked about a browning Juniper. All my new growth (tips) look like they've been burnt. I am not sure if they are dead yet and have moved it to part shade where it will spend the winter. I am wondering if I should just leave them alone and let nature take it's course or should I trim (cut?) them ? I am now going to go read on how to attach pictures because I've never done that before, will I be able to do that later?
Last Edit:3 years 6 months ago by Sab
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Sab.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

Replied by BofhSkull on topic Juniper nana

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63115
“Too much sun” only applies if you pruned the roots relatively hard: in that case the amount of water the plant could intake would have been limited, and transpiration while in full sun would have dried it up.

If that was not the case (iow: if you changed the soil but didn’t cut much of the roots) then the issue was more likely “not enough water”.
If the watering is right, it’s almost impossible to put a juniper in a spot that is too sunny for it.

The reason why I’m saying this is that junipers DO need a lot of light, and placing it in the shade -particularly during winter- may cause it more harm than good.

Knowing your climate and the actual position of the plant would certainly help, as a picture of it would.

Don’t worry about the dead foliage now. You can take care of that at any time, and the most urgent thing is making sure the plant is doing well.
by BofhSkull

• Sab
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Sab on topic Juniper nana

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63122
Thank you Bofhskull, seeing as I didn't do anything to the roots I must have underwatered it. Here I was afraid of over watering I ended up going to the other end of the spectrum. I'll leave it alone to recover over the winter, hopefully it makes it. And water when dry to the touch.
by Sab

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

Replied by BofhSkull on topic Juniper nana

Posted 3 years 6 months ago #63125
This will probably sound strange considering the amount of times you've likely heard warnings about overwatering bonsai trees, but...

If the soil is right (that is: very draining, like in the case of the usual akadama + pumice + lava rock that you read around about a lot) it's basically impossible to overwater a tree. Particularly a juniper, where -unlike broadleaves- the size of the foliage doesn't depend on the amount of water intake from the plant.
That warning mostly applies to conditions where the soil is largely organic, like in the usual gardening mix: in that case it would retain a lot of water and, if watered too much, would end up turning into a muck and suffocating the roots and bringing them to rot.

So, if you've now moved it to proper, draining soil, just don't worry too much about that: watering it one time too many would do no harm; not watering it enough certainly would.
by BofhSkull
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Ivan Mann, Sab