Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Overwintering Bonsai 3 years 5 months ago #63530

• Mcamp886
  • Mcamp886's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hi Everyone,

I am seeking some advice/guidance around overwintering Bonsai. This is my first winter trying to keep outdoor trees in the Boston area. Ive done a lot of research on this and have gotten a lot of different messages on it.

First, Ill mention that all of my outdoor trees are hardy for my zone (6b), but I also know that that is more for plants that are in the ground, not so much in pots. Second, I don’t have a garage, but I do have a makeshift cold frame made out of cinderblocks and wooden planks.

My question is this – at what point (temperature-wise) do trees that are hardy for my zone need extra protection such as a cold frame? Ive read that you should let the trees experience a few freezes to make sure they are fully dormant, but Ive also read that you should never leave your trees unprotected if the temp drops below freezing because the roots freezing will kill the tree. Some people say just put the pots on the ground close together and let them be, and others say to put them in a cold frame.

I guess my question is, can trees freeze and survive? Or should they be put in a cold frame before the temperature drops below 32F? I recognize that for very cold snaps or in the dead of winter when temps are consistently below freezing extra protection is necessary.

What do people who live in the northeast part of the US do in the winter? Any advice for a nervous newbie would be welcome haha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Mcamp886.

Overwintering Bonsai 3 years 5 months ago #63531

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121
Don’t live in your area, so can’t provide firsthand experience, but if you didn’t already I suggest watching this:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcamp886

Overwintering Bonsai 3 years 5 months ago #63532

• Mcamp886
  • Mcamp886's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Don’t live in your area, so can’t provide firsthand experience, but if you didn’t already I suggest watching this:

This is incredibly helpful! I cant believe I never saw that one before. Thank you so much!

Overwintering Bonsai 3 years 5 months ago #63541

• Ivan Mann
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
The best thing to do is find a bonsai group there and discuss with them, species by species. There has to be some kind of group in Boston.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcamp886

• Page: