Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai loosing leaves 3 years 3 months ago #64004

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Jajajajajaja mate! dont be so unpleasant! I can see you are veteran in this forum, and i guess you are not used to be contradicted.

Zelkova are in ulmaceas family, and this kind of trees are caducifolios. I only want to give and advice.

If i am wrong, please tell me, but do it appropriately :)

Kind regards

Lol, seem to me that YOU cannot handle someone having another opinion.

You do not kow which species it is.
I am growing this exact species.

Yet you keep pushing your opinion and start making personal attacks.

Relax mate, and talk trees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai loosing leaves 3 years 3 months ago #64010

• jalosimarro
  • Thanks received: 0
Lets talk about trees, you are right. I dont want to sound angry or something like that.

In spain (Madrid) we have ulmus in the streets, and they lost their leaves when the winter starts. Now, my zelkova don’t have any leaves.

Where do you have yours? Has it hold some leavea even in december? In spain we are now starting the winter.

Kind regards

Bonsai loosing leaves 3 years 3 months ago #64012

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Which ulmus do you have in the streets? I have not heard of this species used as street planting. I thought Ulmus minor or U Pumila were mostly planted.

Mine is outside. Full exposure. Had -5 this winter already, and has seen several frost cycles since frost started in october.

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...ught-an-ulmus-bonsai

Bonsai loosing leaves 3 years 3 months ago #64013

• jalosimarro
We have Pumila Ulmus in the streets, and people call it Siberian Elm (Olmo siberiano in spanish). I took a photo near mi house, and you can see the size of the trees. Here we have a problem with this elms because they grow fast and invade the space. When the winter comes (now in Madrid) their leaves drop and the roads are full of leaves.

I've seen your post and your elm it's beautiful.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bonsai loosing leaves 3 years 3 months ago #64014

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

We have Pumila Ulmus in the streets, and people call it Siberian Elm (Olmo siberiano in spanish). I took a photo near mi house, and you can see the size of the trees. Here we have a problem with this elms because they grow fast and invade the space. When the winter comes (now in Madrid) their leaves drop and the roads are full of leaves.

I think it is important to realize that different species behave differently. So U pumila and U siberiano are not per se a good indication of how U paviflora will respond to things.

I've seen your post and your elm it's beautiful.

Thx, but you are thinking about what maybe one day it may look like. Right now it is an ugly bush in a pot :). Certainly nothing to do with bonsai yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jalosimarro

Bonsai loosing leaves 3 years 3 months ago #64016

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600

Which ulmus do you have in the streets? I have not heard of this species used as street planting. I thought Ulmus minor or U Pumila were mostly planted.

Mine is outside. Full exposure. Had -5 this winter already, and has seen several frost cycles since frost started in october.

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...ught-an-ulmus-bonsai

There are several kinds of elms planted on the streets here, at least two different kinds, looking at the bark. I grabbed a handful of seeds off of one a couple of years ago and have dozens of the them now. The parent trees have large pieces of bark peeling off, with orange under bark, which I fell in love with.

So far this fall about half of them had green leaves, as of yesterday. We had our first frost last night so they may have gotten the hint that summer is over and it is time to drop the leaves. The last two years they have popped leaves out in the first week of January. I don't know what that means.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jalosimarro

Bonsai loosing leaves 3 years 3 months ago #64017

• jalosimarro
I think my error is that i have generalised the behaviour of all elms only taking a look of my closes ones.

I see all the trees looking at their future, and yours looks good. It has many years left, but the starting material it's very good.

• Page: