Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Dead bonsai, tried to save it but unsure what this is 3 years 19 hours ago #67867

• Gcr91
  • Gcr91's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

I have this bonsai I got from my uncle about 20 years ago when I was 9 and up until last year it was doing well. My uncle passed away last April and within 2 weeks after, weirdly my bonsai appeared to have died.

There is moss growing on the soil and has something growing through it. I am unsure if what is growing through the moss is pine leaves or potentially weeds? I would also like to add that the bonsai was repotted after dying and filled with additional bonsai soil.

I decided this year to start trying to grow bonsai from seeds and am hoping to see at least one of them starting to grow in the coming weeks. Any advice on this would be great too

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Gcr91.

Dead bonsai, tried to save it but unsure what this is 3 years 17 hours ago #67873

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132
Those are weeds growing in the moss.

Don't know about the status of the tree, as it is not fully viewed in the picture.

Dead bonsai, tried to save it but unsure what this is 3 years 17 hours ago #67874

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Did you care for this tree yourself for 20 years or did your uncle do it?

Dead bonsai, tried to save it but unsure what this is 3 years 13 hours ago #67885

• Gcr91
  • Gcr91's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I did, my uncle gave it to me when I was a child

Dead bonsai, tried to save it but unsure what this is 3 years 5 hours ago #67893

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
We still need a picture of the entire tree.

Dead bonsai, tried to save it but unsure what this is 3 years 5 hours ago #67894

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
The fact that the soil has decreased in size and left a small gap to the pot is not a good sign. That is what happens to pour quality soil when it gets dry. Watering under this cirkumstance is hard if not impossible. But you wrote that you repot after the tree has died? Althou quite strange thing to do, but implies that the compacted soil cannot explain the death.

• Page: