Propagation of wisteria cuttings

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1833
Hi Jon,

First of all, it has been strongly recommended to me (by leatherback) "not" to root cuttings in water because the roots grpw brittle and weak which are easily damaged during transplanting making the success rate low. Cuttings rooted in a soil such as seed-starting mix or Bonsai soil are much stronger and healthier with a much greater success rate. I have even read of cuttings being successfully rooted in straight akadama or similar type bonsai soil. Personally, I would avoid rooting in water!

Okay...the pre-roasted chicken container. The base of these containers is a sturdy plastic, 2" high tray with a snap-on, domed lid about 6" high. I cut several drainage holes in the bottom of the tray then put in a layer of medium-course red clay gravel (made from crushed clay pots). This gravel retains moisture while providing excellent drainage. Then I filled the tray with seed-starting mix and dampend the soil well with a spray bottle of water. Then I used a bamboo skewer stick to poke holes into the soil for the cuttings. Snip off all but the top two or three leaves leaving a slight stump of each leaf stem. Place cutting in hole making sure you have three nodes below the soil surface for roots to develope from and at least three nodes above the soil surface for sprouting. I gently closed each hole with the back of a tiny garden trowel ( a teaspoon will work). I then covered the cuttings/tray with the domed lid. There are four vent holes in the top of the dome which are left open for air circulation. I then got a dinner plate and poured a layer of the red clay gravel onto the plate and watered the gravel enough to make it wet...the clay will absorb the water creating a moist environment. Do not water to the point where the water level is above the clay gravel. Finally I placed the cuttings tray on top of the moistened gravel and placed it in a spot where it receives bright, indirect sunlight. Once you see significant growth on the cuttings you know they have successfully rooted.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :lol:
Hope this helps.
by Leslie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1835
I love you story Leslie :)
You are right that you shouldn't root most cuttings in water. Willow trees are an exception. I read up on how to root hydrangea cuttings. One of the sites said that they "have been known to" root in water. I had so many I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.
I wouldn't try to root an actual tree in water. most of them won't.
I think the roasted chicken container is a great idea. I'm going to do a few evergreen cuttings late this winter and think I will use it.
One little tid bit I learned is that if you want to keep the soil warm while waiting or cuttings to root, put it on top of the fridge.
by Pinkham

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by joncoh101 on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1839
Ok you mean near the motor where the heat gets released?
by joncoh101

• KyleMB
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by KyleMB on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1840
Hi JonCoh101 (Stranger) :)

Well I would suggest you cut the bottom of the cuttings at a 45 degree angle, wet it, dip it into rooting hormone and then plant it into a nice fertile growing medium and keep it nice and moist.

This is method me and Paul use for propagation and we have been highly successful in all cases.

But that's just my opinion. ;)
See you around pal.

Kyle
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by KyleMB
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by KyleMB.

• KyleMB

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1841
This is method me and Paul use for propagation and we have been highly successful in all cases.
by KyleMB

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by joncoh101 on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1842
Ok shot bro, i have used a mixture of riversand and that vermiculture stuff i bought from mac. And iv got them in bottles, so ag i will see if they grow or not. If not then its a learning curve. Iv got them inside at the moment haha because its raining so much. Dont want them to get too wet
by joncoh101

• KyleMB

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1847
No such thing as cuttings getting too wet Jon :)
by KyleMB

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1854
Thank you Lance!

Good luck with the pre-roasted chicken container. I have recently had to replace the domed top because the cuttings got to tall for it. What I am using now is softer but thick plastic, box-shaped bag that sheet sets come in...some are long and wide enough to fit over the tray. Hey...the top of the refridgerator would be a nice warm spot for the cuttings...what a great idea! Providing there is sufficient light for them, of course. :cheer:

@ Jon...no, the cuttings don't have to be near the motor. If you place your hand on top of the fridge you will notice how nice and warm it is. :P

@ KyleMB...I have to disagree with your last comment Kyle. My little Fukien Tea cuttings just recently became infested with a bug known as the Fungus Gnat which burrows in the soil where it lays is eggs which, in turn, feed on the roots. The reason?...I was overwatering them. :(
by Leslie

• KyleMB

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1855
@ Leslie - Apologies, me and Jon do bonsai together so we're in the same region. We don't often have problems with pests and diseases. Also, we don't have many problems with climate affecting watering schedules too much etc.

Hate to hear about your cuttings (that species sounds interesting- going to look it up :)) but down here I think Jons cuttings will benefit from more water. But that's just my opinion :)
by KyleMB

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1857
Hi Kyle,

No need to apologise. I apologise if I came across as being critical...it was not my intention :( . I just wanted to share my experience with watering cuttings hoping that it might help others to learn from my mistakes. I never thought of the vast difference in climates. :blush:

A friend of mine gave me these Fukien Tea cuttings several weeks ago when they were just at soil level, they were so tiny. I've seen her tree and it is just beautiful! Here is a link on the Fukien Tea :) : www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html
by Leslie