Bonsai forum

Stress on Trunk?

• vickf
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Stress on Trunk? was created by vickf

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71514
Hello,

So I bought this Bonsai Tree cuz I thought it was nice how it has an angled trunk. Now thinking about it, it might be a lot of stress on it as it grows. Any recommendations on how to take care of it or simply just continue as it is? I am new to this so thanks for the feedback!
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by vickf

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wes V.
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 17

Replied by Wes V. on topic Stress on Trunk?

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71515
Keep it outdoors, but you can only bring it indoors for at most 2 days out of the week. Water it when the top layer of soil is dry. Make sure water drips through the holes. If it's very hot outside (let's say 90 F and above), keep it in the shade and never let it dry out completely. Bonsai pots are shallow so keep an extra eye because they're prone to drying out. That's a juniper, so it doesn't need that much fertilization.

And the trunk isn't stressed. It was trained to be that shape.
by Wes V.

• vickf
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by vickf on topic Stress on Trunk?

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71517
Thanks for the feedback Wes! Yes, I learn from my first Bonsai that it should not be indoors so this one is going to stay outdoor every day. I live in CA so the weather is normally 70-85 F every day. With weather like would it be fine to keep in the sun all day? I work all day so the only other option i can think is been in the shade most of the day and when i get home at 4 PM have it till sunset so from 4-7 PM which would be about 3hrs every day. Which one you think would work best? An if none, then im going to have to rethink this lol
by vickf

• Wes V.
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71519
I also live in California, but my area is much hotter. Summer temps are in the 90s. Your temperature range isn't so bad. And in the winter, don't worry about frost destroying it. It's hardy enough.
by Wes V.

• vickf
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by vickf on topic Stress on Trunk?

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71520
Nice, I'm near San Diego so it gets in the 80 or 90 F here and there but normally we stay between 70-85. So would you say it's fine if I leave it all day in the sun? lol I have read up on how to properly keep an eye on the bonsai and make sure to water when needed and to water it more often when it stays longer in the sun but i want to make sure i don't cook the bonsai lol
by vickf

• Wes V.
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71521
California is pretty dry in the summer, so if you want to keep it in the shade to be safe do so. But yeah I think it's best to keep it in the shade. Since it's in a shallow pot it could dry out quick.
by Wes V.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vickf