Bonsai forum

Bald Cypress - New to me - Best way to straighten trunk?

• Spicoli
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Bald Cypress - New to me - Best way to straighten trunk? was created by Spicoli

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71846
Good morning to all -

I purchased a Bald Cypress from a local nursery here in NC. The trunk has a slight bend and I'd like to get it nice and straight.

Having been an enthusiast for less than a year - I was thinking of heavy gauge wire or a post and a string to train the trunk. Wire being the cleaner looking option and less cubersome. What do the more advanced here think?

The curve is much more pronounced than it looks in the picture and begins about halfway up the tree.

Thank you,
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit:2 years 8 months ago by Spicoli

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Spicoli. Reason: add photo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Bald Cypress - New to me - Best way to straighten trunk?

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71850
We normally train trunks with wire. But we also normally train trunks for more bends, not less. If you want more straight truk, you can wire it to a bambu stake.

But.......In order to get better proportions this tree eigther needs to grow several years to thicken the trunk or needs to be cut down hard for a smaller sized bonsai. If you go for the later option there are absolutelly no reason to straighten it out as the bend is above any cut point of choice.
by Tropfrog

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Bald Cypress - New to me - Best way to straighten trunk?

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71869
I would use a thick straight bamboo stick, and tie the tree to the pole with aluminum wire.
Loosen the wire from time to time to check if the wire is not biting into the bark, and change their position vertically.
Nice tree. It does not have to be too thick.
by Clicio

• BonsaiSpy
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by BonsaiSpy on topic Bald Cypress - New to me - Best way to straighten trunk?

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #71896
An aluminum wire with a stick would work just great. Don't keep it in too tight.
by BonsaiSpy