Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Need advice on pruning Serissa Foetida (Tree of a thousand stars) 2 years 7 months ago #71908

• SophieLou
  • SophieLou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello all - I'm a beginner when it comes to bonsai trees. I recently purchased a Serissa Foetida (tree of a thousand stars) and would like advice on what to do with the branches.

I've had a look at a few online and trying to decide on an overall shape. Just feel like I have quite a lot of branches going on compared to most I've seen, would be grateful on any advice on what to do with these.

Many thanks.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need advice on pruning Serissa Foetida (Tree of a thousand stars) 2 years 7 months ago #71912

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
For recently purshased bonsai materials you dont prune at all. Your task is to keep it alive and get it into full vigour. One full growing season is a minimum. If you bought it now the first time to concider styling is late winter to early spring 2023. That is enough time to study your tree and the art of bonsai enough to make up your own plan, your own design.

But please bear in mind that serissa is not an easy tree and not suitable for beginners. There is a risk that you never gets to the stage where it is time for styling.

Need advice on pruning Serissa Foetida (Tree of a thousand stars) 2 years 7 months ago #71929

• Advandn
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 18
Don't prune it just yet. Let it grow for a bit.

Need advice on pruning Serissa Foetida (Tree of a thousand stars) 1 year 1 month ago #79379

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Now would be a great time to do first styling if the tree is still healthy.

• Page: