Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71921

• Banzai216
  • Banzai216's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello! Last year I got a bonsai kit for Fathers Day, and this spring I got around to growing them. I have (3) that survived, and with Fall coming, I'm wondering what to do now! Most things I see are for folks that have established trees, and not seedlings. I've done a little trimming here and there, but I want to make sure I take the right steps to ensure my plants make it through the fall and winter.

I have a Flame Tree, a Brazilian Rosewood, and a Colorado Blue Spruce. I'm figuring that I'll need to transplant the Flame Tree and Brazilian Rosewood, but I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do next! I've attached pics of each one, to give you an idea of where I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71922

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
The only reason you dont find any information about how to care for bonsai seedlings is that there are no such thing. Bonsai is a mature tree in minature, not seedlings. What you are growing is tree seadlings. Just google species name and seedling care and you might find more information.

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71923

• Banzai216
  • Banzai216's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Anything about starting with a seedling and turning it into a bonsai? Most of the stuff I've seen either assumes you've purchased a bonsai and are taking care of it, or that you've been doing this for decades and already know what you're doing. Essentially looking for a book or website that starts with, "So, you're interested in becoming a bonsai enthusiast..."

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71924

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I understand what you mean.

There are only two differences between growing seedling for big tree and for bonsai:

1: if you want to put mowement to the trunk by wiring, that is best done before the trunk is too thick for bending. If you grow in small pot that is within the first 5-10 years.

2: if you grow for bonsai it can be a good idea to cut the taproot and comb the nebari out when repotting the first time.

Other than that, Everything is the same.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71925

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ahh, saw your photos now. You dont need to worry about any of the above bonsai technices for a few years. Just concentrate on growing, just as you would for any tree.

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71926

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Hello!
I would say that, Jacarandá and Flamboyant are hard species to design.
The only work you can do right before the next growing season, is to cut it's taproots as you reppot them into a bigger pot, so they can grow vigorous.
I know that in portuguese there is a lot of content on youtube about going from seed to bonsai, and even some progression videos, where you can kind of use as reference to plan your next moves.
At a sapling the only thing you'll do, is to add some potential features, so in the future you might have a nice starting point.

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71928

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Look up individual requirements for all three, then look at your local climate. Colorado is a completely different climate from Brazil and you will have to treat them completely differently.

In June there were spruces sticking out of melting snow when we went through there. That means short growing season with long dormant periods.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

New Bonsai Enthusiast Needs Help! 2 years 7 months ago #71930

• Advandn
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 18
It depends on your area. Learn more about climate and where the trees are from.

• Page: