Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Juniper bonsai branches browning - PLS HELP 2 years 7 months ago #71937

• kendalfurman
  • kendalfurman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Please please help me! I got my juniper bonsai from a local nursery in January 2021 and he was doing super well, however, a few months ago I noticed his branches were browning and since then some have even fallen off! I water him every 3-3.5 days, and mist his leaves every other day as well. I haven’t pruned him much, but I do pinch off dead branches when I get a chance. I keep him by my window so that he gets plenty of sunlight, and occasionally I’ll bring him outside as well. I just found out that Juniper bonsai’s aren’t supposed to be kept indoors but unfortunately I live in an apartment and keeping him outdoors isn’t an option. I just did a scratch test to make sure he was still alive and luckily he’s still a pretty vibrant green so I know he isn’t past help. I am heartbroken because this tree was given to me by my boyfriend and it means a huge deal to me. I would be crushed if it were to die. Is there anything I can do to help it recover besides just putting it outside? Am I over or under watering it? Is this browning of branches normal? Could I get some sort of special light to mimic sunlight for the plant to help it survive better indoors? Any help is greatly appreciated. ❤️ Please see the pictures below.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by kendalfurman.

Juniper bonsai branches browning - PLS HELP 2 years 7 months ago #71938

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
If you dont want to put the tree outside the only other option is to bring outdoor conditions inside. However not very practical for you or your house. It is utterly important that your tree gets winter dormancy. But that is not all. Temperature gradient, wind, rain, sun.....Everything is different outside. Junipers die indoors.

Another option is to visit a friend garden, forest or park close to you. Take the tree out of the pot and plant it in the ground. No care will be needed and you can go visit it whenever you want.

Looking at the picture I can see some fresh growth. I dont think it is too late, but it will not survive a winter in living room conditions.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Juniper bonsai branches browning - PLS HELP 2 years 7 months ago #71939

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Hello and welcome
It’s quite simple really: there is no such thing as an indoor tree. Or you place your juniper outside, or it will die, simple as that.
A few other things: misting is totally useless. Humidity doesn’t magically stay around your tree. The only thing it does is increase the humidity in your room by 0,00001 %.
Watering: never on a schedule but by checking if the soil is dry. Water by giving it a good shower with a garden hose or watering can untill water flows out of the drainage hole.
If you were going to fertilise: don’t . Never fertilise an already unhealthy tree. It is not food, sunlight is.

Juniper bonsai branches browning - PLS HELP 2 years 7 months ago #71940

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
I concur with all the above

• Page: