Bonsai forum

Can anyone ID this tree?

• bonsainoobnoob
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by bonsainoobnoob on topic Can anyone ID this tree?

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72332
interesting so i guess you're right that the leaves are large in that case and it wont be good for bonsai.
by bonsainoobnoob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Can anyone ID this tree?

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72337

bonsainoobnoob wrote: the leaves are not particularly big. still no idea what it is?

Bonsai is about making an image of a big mature tree in miniature. To succeed creating bonsai one must think perspective, perspective, perspective.

Go out in the nearest forest and look at old trees. In this case look at the leaf size to trunk size ratio. How big is the leafs compared to the trunks? When you understand this ratio, you will understand that the leafs on this tree is far to big for a small or medium size bonsai. In a longer time perspective it is quite possible to make it a big bonsai.

I did the same as an eager beginner, bought and digged a lot of trees that would not be quality bonsai for decades. Still got them, cannot throw away plants. But nowadays I am a little bit more picky, trees that cannot be resonable quality prebonsai in 5 years is left to grow.

One option is to leave it where it is and go back every 5 years and check if it has grown to the point where it is worth collecting.
by Tropfrog

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Can anyone ID this tree?

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72342
not sure how much difference between ontario and has in terms of flora. This could be a starting point:

ontariotrees.com/main/leaves.php?type=COMP
by leatherback

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Albas on topic Can anyone ID this tree?

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72345

bonsainoobnoob wrote: interesting so i guess you're right that the leaves are large in that case and it wont be good for bonsai.

Well, is not that it won't be good for bonsai... Maybe it could be, but it would be a big one, and big bonsai is not easy to make, take more experience, and more time than usual.
by Albas

• bonsainoobnoob
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by bonsainoobnoob on topic Can anyone ID this tree?

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72350

Tropfrog wrote:

bonsainoobnoob wrote: the leaves are not particularly big. still no idea what it is?

Bonsai is about making an image of a big mature tree in miniature. To succeed creating bonsai one must think perspective, perspective, perspective.

Go out in the nearest forest and look at old trees. In this case look at the leaf size to trunk size ratio. How big is the leafs compared to the trunks? When you understand this ratio, you will understand that the leafs on this tree is far to big for a small or medium size bonsai. In a longer time perspective it is quite possible to make it a big bonsai.

I did the same as an eager beginner, bought and digged a lot of trees that would not be quality bonsai for decades. Still got them, cannot throw away plants. But nowadays I am a little bit more picky, trees that cannot be resonable quality prebonsai in 5 years is left to grow.

One option is to leave it where it is and go back every 5 years and check if it has grown to the point where it is worth collecting.

ya it seems like it's mostly about hacking the leader off of bigger trees and putting it into a small pot.

i collected a bunch of Japanese maple seedlings, if they live it will be like 10 years before they could be bonsai?

aside from planting them in a field somewhere is there any other way to thicken the trunk?
by bonsainoobnoob

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Can anyone ID this tree?

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72353
It all depends on what size bonsai you want to make of them. And as stated before your care and climate. You can do a small mame out of japanese maple seedling in 10 years with the right care and environment. If I had a bunch of jm seadlings I would make a forest.

To thicken the trunk:
In the ground is faster than in pot. Also the bigger pot the faster.
Not prunning will thicken the trunk faster than if you prune.
by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas