Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

oak sapling trouble 2 years 6 months ago #72343

• Sandri
  • Sandri's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello.

I transplanted this oak sapling from the woods this spring. I believe its a sessile oak. When i transplanted it, it had one shoot about 15-20 cm long, with 3 leaves at the top and a leaf bud. This shoot wilted away and died. In desperation i let the pot soak for a couple of days and, to my delight, 3 new shoots grew in a couple of weeks. (this was around april/may) In late july i went to work at the seaside, so i left the tree in the care of my raltive. I think they forgot to water the tree a little bit and the heat during augut was quite astonishing, so a couple of other plants died in my relatives care. On the photos i took yesterday, there are a couple of leaves that are a bit wilted, a couple have some white stuff on them (i get this on plants from time to time, because our pipe water is "rich" in minerals) this whie stuff goes away with a splash of water, since it dissolves, but the stuff on the picture seems to be stuck to the leaves (pigmentation?). Also some leaves have spots that are lighter green. The tree is potted a little bit deep in the pot, as in, the level of dirt in the pot is about 5 cm under the "top" of the pot. I wanted to fix this problem for some time, but im afraid the repotting could kill the tree, so i tilted the pot towards the sun. Also useful information could be that our balcony is on the east side of the building, thus there isnt a spot which has full sun all day. Most days the plant is in full sun from about 8:00 to about 12:00-13:00

I hope its just lack of water or maybe lack of sunlight, but the specific things i listed above could be some kind of desiese. Please help me identify the root of the problem and save the tree (if it needs saving).

Regards,
Sandri

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oak sapling trouble 2 years 6 months ago #72344

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Hello and welcome
Your oak suffers from mildew. Spray/mist a mixture of milk and water in a 1:1 ratio on the leaves ( top and bottom). Repeat after 1 to 2 weeks.
Water only the soil, not on the leaves ( the milk/water needs to dry out and stay on for some time) .
Donor repot now, there is absolutely no reason for it and it’s the wrong moment. If you think the level is too low, just add some soil
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sandri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: