Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New to Bonsai need some advice! 2 years 6 months ago #72736

• hlmeve
  • hlmeve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi! Pretty new at Bonsai. I have these two Flame trees that are about a month old. I have them under some standard amazon grow lights, as you can see in the photo, when should I re-pot these trees? Are the conditions okay/what should I be looking out for? Also the trees in the solo cup came from the same seed I'm planning on just keeping them as is unless someone sees an issue with that. Any other advice/tips would be appreciated. Pretty much any information is gold to me!

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to Bonsai need some advice! 2 years 6 months ago #72738

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
On my experience with Flame Trees in my region, is that timing mathers a lot.

I've got some seedlings last mid summer (around Jan/Feb Southern Hemisphere), and the trees grow really fast, of course those on bigger containers grew more, but it was kind of late, as autumn was near, so they started to loose leaves, which is normal, since they are deciduous (or semi) around here, and they dropped 100% of their leaves at mid winter.

I was kinda of stubborn, I thought they could handle our winter that barely reaches 0ºC, and let them winter outside.
(There are many planted on the streets, but yes, on the ground is different)

Of the aprox. 15 trees, 4 didn't survive winter.

Also, you must watch your watering on autumn/winter, they can rot easily if keep it too wet.

Having that said, I don't think you should do it until spring, it may yellow it's leaves and/or drop soon...
When it wake up from dormancy, you can cut it's taproot and repot them on bigger containers. (well draining soil).

Plus, two seedlings/saplings at the same pot it's ok at the beginning, but even if you want to fuse/merge them, I think you should grow a few years independantly, so they could thrive the maximum possible before going dormant again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hlmeve

Last edit: Post by Albas.

New to Bonsai need some advice! 2 years 3 months ago #74125

• StKilda
  • Thanks received: 0
Been trying to grow flame trees for a while now. Have two from seed but struggling to get them to branch out. Any suggestions?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

New to Bonsai need some advice! 2 years 3 months ago #74149

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
So, you are on the Northern Hemisphere right? if so, the tree is just dormant.

There is a special technique to make it branch it out, as they are difficult to ramify, however you can't do this while it's dormant.
And yet, I don't think it's time to, I would thicken a bit, after repot on next early spring...

This is Master Ladoso's tree, on about 4min, he applies what I'm talking about.
You can auto-translate the captions, it's close enough to understand.

You can follow his progression:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kaptec

• Page: