Bonsai forum

Pine protection during freezing winter

• xlev
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pine protection during freezing winter was created by xlev

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72740
Hi

I live in Norway and here we can get down to -15C or 5 fahrenheit during winter. I have some pine trees that I am training to be bonsais at different stages (seedlings and half mature trees). I keep them in pots and I am wondering what do do during winter. I know that most people say to put them into a greenhouse, but I dont have this luxury. I could however dig the pots into the ground for the winter if that helps. The trees would most likely get covered completely or almost by snow. Would they survive that?What would be the best way of doing that? Do I need to put a cover onto the trees?
I also have a basement, but thats probably not a good idea as they would get no sun there and we have long winter (snow from november/december and usually until May).

Any suggestions?

Cheers
by xlev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• xlev
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by xlev on topic Pine protection during freezing winter

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72741
I will also add that I have the Austrian pine and scots pine
by xlev

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pine protection during freezing winter

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72744
Hej lillebror ;)

Scott pine is absolutelly no problem outside. Just put it on the ground and let the snow do what the snow does in nature, cover and protect the tree. I would think austrian pine is the same, but no own experience with tha species.

Hälsningar från Sverige!
by Tropfrog

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Pine protection during freezing winter

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72756
The best thing to do is to find a club close to you and talk with them. Find out what the people near you do, and do the same. In particular, find out what the ones with a lot of old trees do, since what they do works.
by Ivan Mann
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Pine protection during freezing winter

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72758

Ivan Mann wrote: The best thing to do is to find a club close to you and talk with them. Find out what the people near you do, and do the same. In particular, find out what the ones with a lot of old trees do, since what they do works.

Good advice. In general. Do not go by the advice from people whose trees you do not know. Talk is cheap.
by leatherback

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pine protection during freezing winter

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72759
Well. Looking for local advice is sure a good way to go. Excluding people that made it thrue several winters in your area with healthy trees because someone dont think the tree is up to their standards in terms of design is a terrible misstake.

If you are in southern Norway our climate is similar. Some people in the club keep pine trees frost free in heated greenhouse, some keep them in unheated greenhouse and some dont even take them off the benches. There are many years experience in all three overwintering methods and its not even a debate about it. All works and it is a matter of personal preferences. Last winter I moved my pines into the unheated greenhouse when it was below -14 and no snow. That is possibly the most stressful situation for a pine.
by Tropfrog