Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Received Bonsai as a Gift. Really need help. 2 years 6 months ago #72760

• Moetown
  • Moetown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone,
I've just received this Bonsai as a gift from my girlfriend as she knew I always loved these trees. I have pretty much 0 information on what kind it is however, after doing some research I believe its a Chinese Juniper.

She bought it from a nursery here in the east coast of Canada. I realize in the bonsai world this is likely not the right way to get started and its very much a commercial tree but its what I have and I really want to keep it alive and thriving.

What I've read so far is that this likely should not be an indoor tree but I live in an apartment in Canada (I do have a balcony) but the weather can get crazy cold here (down to around -15 degrees celsius or worse). Am I able to keep this thing indoors with plenty of sunlight or should it be exposed to winters (to a certain extent)?

Also, its leaning quite heavily - I'm wondering what I can and should do to shape it? I know I have my work cut out for me but I'd really like to treat this thing right and am willing to do whatever it takes!

Any and all tips are welcome. I really really appreciate it. Thanks!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Moetown.

Received Bonsai as a Gift. Really need help. 2 years 6 months ago #72761

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Yes, it should be outside exposed to natural dormancy. It absolutelly necessary ant there are no way around it.

Juniperscan take -15, no problem. But if it is that cold for a prolonged time and windy it might get dry freezing damage. Then it is good to protect it in a cold frame or cover in snow.

Dont

Received Bonsai as a Gift. Really need help. 2 years 6 months ago #72762

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Hmm. Posted before finished....

Dont worry about any styling, wiring or prunning. Just let it grow for a year and read up on styling meanwhile.

That tillandsia on the soil cannot grow there and cannot follow the tree outside. Needs to grow on rock or wood and misted daily, in winter several times a day. Sidenote as it has nothing to do with bonsai :)

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.
  • Page: