Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76050

• dianak1
  • dianak1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello everyone. I am a beginner, always dreamed of a bonsai , and when I started searching a website to buy a Japanese bonsai, I was surprised to see that there are so many types of trees for bonsai. So, I found a website, where was written:
“Name: Zelkova
Family: Ulmaceae Country of origin: Southern Europe and Asia (Japan and China)
Pot diameter: 15 cm
Height from vase base: 40 cm
History and curiosity: Fossil remains of this plant, according to the Palaeobiology Database, are native to Canada and belong to the Cretaceous period, dating back to 80 million years ago.

Zelkova: inevitable in the collection of every bonsaiist Zelkova is a beautiful Japanese bonsai that features green, jagged leaves that turn orange in autumn. It is an indoor bonsai that has a decidedly graceful bearing; precisely for this reason it is a species that can be found very frequently in the collection of any bonsaist. It lends itself very well to growing with a deck style which gives it a decidedly intriguing look. To this is added its resistance to pests and diseases which facilitates its cultivation even more: even beginners will not find themselves in difficulty. In this kit you will find everything you need to refine your bonsai art with this splendid essence. It loves the light, but the direct sun on the leaves - especially in high temperatures - should be avoided. It can also be placed outdoors in the hottest months, but avoiding the alternation of the two positions. A couple of times a month the impaled Zelkova should be fertilized, and in the autumn a pruning should be performed, eliminating the branches that grow in an untidy way. As far as watering is concerned, it is advisable not to overdo it and, before repeating the operation, let the soil dry well. Repotting must be done every two years, using specific soil”.

It arrived 6 days ago. I watered it about 2-3 times, and I started having doubts, whether it is a Zelkova (Japanese elm) or a Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia).
Also, I have seen on internet that also exists Zelkiva Nire.
I asked support of the website where I bought it, and I was said this information:
Your bonsai is a Zelkova, not a Japanese elm. You can see this from the leaves that are down small. Also in the passport is indicated the name Zelkova which certifies the species. As for the yellow leaves, some yellow leaves are normal, it must adapt to the new place. The fertilizer for Bonsai is complete does not require other products and the moss does not damage the plant at all.”

And also I would like to ensure, what's happening to the leaves because some of them turning yellow and I'm afraid of it. I try to keep my bonsai next to the window with open curtains, and also I watered it with fertilizer. And I just knew that it should be watered 2 times a week.

I would appreciate your help and if you could tell me what type is my bonsai and some information about the care of it.

Thank you in advance!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76051

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
You will not keep this plant alive inside. It must be outside all the time. A few dead leaves show that it is a normal plant and that is what happens when moved to a new environment, but it is also not liking being inside. Watering must be when needed not to a schedule, As for whether it is Zelcova or Ulmus does not affect the way it is treated, if they say it is Zelcova then that is probably what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dianak1

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76053

• dianak1
Thank you for this information! I didn't know it is an outdoor plant :ohmy: But I will think about how to keep it outside, I don't want it to die...
But I still would like to ask if anybody can help me to identify this plant, so I would appreciate the help so much!

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76054

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 49
Hello, I really second Geoff's reply.
Your tree definitely belongs outside.
I live in Milan, Northern Italy, where temps can drop to 0 °C for a few days in winter, but I keep my 3 Zelkova Nire/Ulmus Parvifolia outside at all times with no problems.

Your plant seems healthy and a few yellow leaves are absolutely normal, after being stressed for transport and change of environment.

Definitely your tree is not a Japanese Elm (Zelkova Serrata), which has longer and more pointer leaves.

And, as far as the question Chinese Elm / Ulmus Parvifolia / Zelkova Nire is concerned, I have to admit myself that it is really not clear.
What is certain is that you treat them all in the same way.

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76055

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hello, I really second Geoff's reply.
Your tree definitely belongs outside.
I live in Milan, Northern Italy, where temps can drop to 0 °C for a few days in winter, but I keep my 3 Zelkova Nire/Ulmus Parvifolia outside at all times with no problems.

Your plant seems healthy and a few yellow leaves are absolutely normal, after being stressed for transport and change of environment.

Definitely your tree is not a Japanese Elm (Zelkova Serrata), which has longer and more pointer leaves.

And, as far as the question Chinese Elm / Ulmus Parvifolia / Zelkova Nire is concerned, I have to admit myself that it is really not clear.
What is certain is that you treat them all in the same way.

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76058

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Most trees sold here as zelkova is actually milabeled chinese elms. Zelkova is quite rare around here.

So based on that my guess is chinese elm. But as others have stated, not that important.

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76059

• dianak1
Anchio vivo in Italia :) but continue to write in English. I live in Lombardy too.
Don't know whether it's enough to keep my bonsai next to the opened window, or I should buy something for windows to hang outside or keep bonsai on the balcony all the time.
The thing that makes me confused is that I have often seen similar bonsai indoors, that's why I thought I could keep it inside too.
My friend says that it seems weird to him keep bonsai outdoors, especially in winter
P.S. The support from the shop where I bought it is weird, they keep lying to their customers even when I ask what the exactly type is my bonsai...

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76061

• dianak1
Also there is other thing I would like to clarify. I downloaded an application for taking care of plants, and firstly added a plant as Zelkova Serrata. And continued to take care of it as was shown in the app (moved closer to the window, open them and made my room light). And all seemed OK but I continued seeing yellow leaves and stared searching the reason, then I had doubts about the real name of my bonsai and thought it possibly could be a Chinese elm or something else. After that I added a new plant in application (Ulmus parvifolia) and it shows me that my room is too bright and it isn't good for my bonsai... So I am confused.. If I move it outside, what should tell me an application? -_- that it is too bright -_- I understand that it could possibly be incorrect sometimes, that's why I would like to ask for advices about this plant

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76065

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Its not weird to keep bonsai outdoors all year. The japanese people have done it for more than 800 years and many of them in colder climate than Italy. Indoor growing is a much more resant thing drived by an industry of potted plant producers. None of them produce them in living room conditions.

I live in Sweden and can assure you from my own experience that six weeks of constant sub -10 temperature is not a problem for chinese elms. However totally unexprienced when it comes to growing them indoors, but judging from all help my bonsai is dieing threads here at the forum I am sure they do by far the best outdoors.

There are absolutelly no difference in care between Zelkova and chinese elm.

Please help to identify my bonsai! :( 1 year 10 months ago #76067

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
So, yes, be it a Zelkova Nire or an Ulmus Parvifolia, just keep it outside on your balcony all year round.

Constant room temperature, lack of light (even if in front of a window) and very low humidity, typical in our houses, will eventually kill the tree.