Bonsai forum

Please help to identify my bonsai! :(

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50

Replied by Ricky73 on topic Please help to identify my bonsai! :(

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76068
So, yes, be it a Zelkova Nire or an Ulmus Parvifolia, just keep it outside on your balcony all year round.

Constant room temperature, lack of light (even if in front of a window) and very low humidity, typical in our houses, will eventually kill the tree.
by Ricky73

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dianak1
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by dianak1 on topic Please help to identify my bonsai! :(

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76080
I will try to keep it outside. I moved it to my balcony today in the morning and it was there until 17:00, but now there is a strong wind and I took it back inside of the apartment. And after a half of a day I noticed there still appear new yellow leaves.... Can't understand the reason...
I have read that many types of bonsai can ill with fungus, and leaves, like in my case, become yellow and some with brown tips... I would like to check if it's not ill, in order not to lose my bonsai... :(
I appreciate your time and your help, and would be happy if this problem disappears :pinch:
by dianak1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• dianak1
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76081
Grazie mille per il tuo messaggio, l'ho visto, però non posso ancora mandare dei messaggi. Ti faccio sapere tra qualche giorno, grazie per il tuo consiglio!
Last Edit:1 year 11 months ago by dianak1
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by dianak1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ricky73

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1358

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Please help to identify my bonsai! :(

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76084
Trees do change their leafs constantly. Before they do that they turn yellow. Your focus at this time of the year should me new growth not old leafs, they can just be remowed.
by Tropfrog

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Please help to identify my bonsai! :(

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76385
THis is a chinese elm. Not a zelkova. Zelkova nire does not exist and is a commercial label, not a botanical identification.
by leatherback

• dianak1
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76393
Thank you for your reply, leatherback! Yeah, I supposed that it could be Ulmus Parvifolia, but once I asked the same question Herons Bonsai on Instagram, his assistant said that “Zelkova is Chinese elm”, so yeah I’m a little bit confused that these species are so similar one to each other.
But how it works? In the passport of the plant there is written “Zelkova”. Why experts don’t control the plant shops and the plants before giving them a passport?
I even saw in the plant house that on the same bonsai passport was written “bonsai mix”…. How experts control plants and give passport with a wrong name to the plant shops?
by dianak1

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76394

Thank you for your reply, leatherback! Yeah, I supposed that it could be Ulmus Parvifolia, but once I asked the same question Herons Bonsai on Instagram, his assistant said that “Zelkova is Chinese elm”, so yeah I’m a little bit confused that these species are so similar one to each other.
But how it works? In the passport of the plant there is written “Zelkova”. Why experts don’t control the plant shops and the plants before giving them a passport?
I even saw in the plant house that on the same bonsai passport was written “bonsai mix”…. How experts control plants and give passport with a wrong name to the plant shops?

TO be honest, they are VERY easy to keep apart. There are just many mislabellings, due to import restrictions for elms. Making elms zelkova, and banking on nobody knowing results in good business. If you buy a small bonsai in a store, and it is labelled zelkova, 99 out of 100 times it is an ulmus. Zelkova is hardly ever grown large-scale.

Here a zelkova serrate I am growing out:
This image is hidden for guests.
by leatherback

This message has an attachment image.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1358

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Please help to identify my bonsai! :(

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76398
I need to understand this LB. First you say zelkova dont exist, then you show a picture of your zelkova. Are you growing a non existent tree or is it Photoshop :)
Last Edit:1 year 11 months ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Tropfrog.

• dianak1
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76400
Hello, there exist several types of Zelkova (I was confused too), all I knew after doing a little bit of investigation on internet is that Zelkova Serrata (which is a Japanese elm) and Zelkova Nire (which is a fake name for Chinese elm) are different species. The second one uses the fake name because of restrictions in different countries
But I still cannot understand how the plant nursery can permit them selves to use a fake name in the passport…
by dianak1

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76405

I need to understand this LB. First you say zelkova dont exist, then you show a picture of your zelkova. Are you growing a non existent tree or is it Photoshop :)

Zelkova nire does not exist.
Zelkova serrata does
by leatherback