Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Leaf browning on selected branches of juniper chinesis (shimpaku) 1 year 11 months ago #76072

• Halin
  • Halin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have this shimpaku plant close to 8 months now and did not have any major issues so far.From 2 months ago ( early Feb) I have noticed some browning of tips of the leaves over the lower 2-3 branches; the rest of the plant seemed fine.I have trimmed back on the brown ends but the browning progressed.I was worried that it could be early spider mite infestation and have done two neem solution treatments a week apart. Have also hosed the plant but didn’t seem to show any difference so far.Other possibility I was thinking is, whether it could be due to preferential growth of the apex leaves over lower branches as part of normal plant growth cycle? Although the foliage on the apex of plant is healthy, it’s not that dense to the extend that the lower branches were covered.Didn’t want to risk cutting back on the top branches so far.Would want to pull the expertise from you guys and see what you guys think?I am based in SE Asia so it’s tropical climate whole year, and have attached pics for reference.Thanks lot in advance!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Leaf browning on selected branches of juniper chinesis (shimpaku) 1 year 11 months ago #76078

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I was thinking some kind of pest, but your location is not good for this species. Not cold enough in the winter. Unless you can see a web on the branches or other evidence of pests there is no point trying to get rid of something that may or may not be there. In tropical climates red spider mite probably will not thrive, they do not like moist environments. Have you seen any Junipers growing where you live? If so are they a different species?

Leaf browning on selected branches of juniper chinesis (shimpaku) 1 year 10 months ago #76384

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
This very much looks like juniper tip blight. If you are in a warm humid climate that is a likely candidate. It is treated with fungicide, and lots of air movement (Well ventilated spot)

• Page: