Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Shishigashira maple leaves problem 1 year 11 months ago #76310

• Garrypb
  • Garrypb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hi everyone this is my Shishigashira Japanese Maple
I have repotted this tree about 10 days ago i didn't removed roots i just cleaned it and put it into another pot. Autumn is abot to end and winter is starting here in new zealand. Just want to know if this leaf color is normal or if this tree is dying?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Garrypb.

Shishigashira maple leaves problem 1 year 11 months ago #76312

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Hello.

How was the leaves before?

I have very little knowledge about maples yet, but it seems for me that your repot is a bit out of time (for southern hemisphere), you was supposed to repot it on winter's ending, when it has no leaves yet, but it's about to wake up (buds getting bigger)...

Maples are deciduous, so they are actually suposed to drop the leaves between autumn/winter, depending on the climate. So I think it would loose those leaves anyways, if it will wake up after dormancy, idk...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garrypb

Shishigashira maple leaves problem 1 year 11 months ago #76315

• Garrypb
  • Garrypb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Leaves were about to fall when i repotted it. reason of repotting actually old pot was broken. All the water and plant food was going straight in tha ground. It left me no choice that's why i changed the pot but i didn't really removed the roots.

Shishigashira maple leaves problem 1 year 11 months ago #76316

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
So just a lack of common definitions then. When we in bonsai talks about repotting, we normally mean doing root work. That is best done in late winter or early spring.

Taking the tree from one pot to another without any root work is most often called slip potting. That have no real impact on tree health and can be done in any time of the year.

Transfering a tree to bigger pot and adding soil without doing root work is most often called up potting. Same as slip potting can be done at any time of the year.

Your tree is not showing the normal athum colors. It is allways sad to miss such a beautiful time. But it does not mean the tree is dieing. It will lose its leafs anyway so no real concern. If healthy it will grow new ones in spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas, Garrypb

• Page: