Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Elm started dropping and browning leaves. 1 year 10 months ago #76361

• Howaitoguru
  • Howaitoguru's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I live in Georgia south of Atlanta so it’s fairly warm. I noticed my Chinese elm started dropping leaves and browning. I brought it inside for a couple days so it could dry out because it has been raining. I finally decided to repot it and the root bed was still damp so I brushed them out. It’s been a few days since I did that but I’m not getting any new growth. I need to know what my options are. I noticed the leafs dropping last week. I did just prune it so idk if that put it in shock but I’m not sure why the leaves have brown spots on them either. Any help would be appreciated.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chinese Elm started dropping and browning leaves. 1 year 10 months ago #76362

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
That is why everyone needs to achieve experience before getting successful in bonsai. And this is one of them experiences that give you future success.

Human mind works with problem and solutions. That is what you have done. There was a problem and you had to do something. That is wrong approach, but perfectly normal.

Repotting do not save a struggling tree, quite the opposite. Pruning do not save a struggling tree, quite the opposite. Taking it indoors do not help the tree, quite the opposite. You did not help the tree. Now all you can do is put it in a shady position, keep it well watered and hope for recovery.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Chinese Elm started dropping and browning leaves. 1 year 10 months ago #76363

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Do you know the cause for bark missing close to the soil and close to the top? Do you have squirrels or other mammals shewing on your tree?

Chinese Elm started dropping and browning leaves. 1 year 10 months ago #76364

• Howaitoguru
  • Howaitoguru's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Some of the bark had dried out last winter so I pulled the bad pieces off. The bottom has been that way. And some of the tree has been like that since I got it from the nursery.

Chinese Elm started dropping and browning leaves. 1 year 10 months ago #76365

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So, I need to add to the list of what does not help the tree to recover, pulling bark off :).

Bark is not living, it is a protection for the living part of the tree just under the bark. That protection is useful no matter how the bark looks.

• Page: