Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76435

• mousson
  • mousson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello. I'm new here (and french…). I've bought bonsai seeds; they say to put them in fridge for 2 months, but don't say if i should water the soil WHILE in the fridge? Thank you for your help. Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76441

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Hey Alex.

Sorry to disapoint you, but there's no such a thing as "Bonsai seeds", only trees' seeds that can become a Bonsai if you apply a bunch of techniques properly.

We can't say how to sown a seed without knowing of what tree species it belongs...

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76443

• mousson
  • mousson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you for your help. And sorry for my bad english. Yes, trees' seeds. These are the names: red marple, chinese cercis, albizia, and cornus kousa

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76466

• jojo22
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 47
I'm French too, for me it's too late, it would be better to wait until October to do it, but I don't have my seeds in the fridge, I sow in sand
The following user(s) said Thank You: mousson

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76468

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
You did not buy bonsai seeds, there is no such thing. They are tree seeds. It is not the best time of year to sow seed, but if you must then if you intend to sow them then they will need to be watered,
The following user(s) said Thank You: mousson

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76474

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Seeds, by and large, do best if they fall off the tree and sit on the ground right then, then sprout when they are accustomed to according to evolution and local season. You can fool them into thinking winter has passed by putting them in cold storage but you have to know that species' habits as to length of winter, etc. Some have to have time below freezing, some not.

I got a huge handful of seeds that had fallen off of elms in Amsterdam, took them home, planted them, and none sprouted. Wikipedia told me they are viable three days at most. I have tried several different patterns of refrigeration with the maple seeds from the front yard. None of them sprout. Dozens of them come up in the yard here.

Let nature do its job.

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76491

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I got a huge handful of seeds that had fallen off of elms in Amsterdam, took them home, planted them, and none sprouted. Wikipedia told me they are viable three days at most. I have tried several different patterns of refrigeration with the maple seeds from the front yard. None of them sprout. Dozens of them come up in the yard here.

How about.. 200 germinated for me..
Tuesday, 4PM CET I will release a video of the process & speed of germination for elms..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76495

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

How about.. 200 germinated for me..
Tuesday, 4PM CET I will release a video of the process & speed of germination for elms..

Yes. None of the elms made it, but you probably didn't wait a month before planting them. I figured out from this exercise that the best thing is to let Mother Nature grow the trees and gather them up when they are big enough. It saves a lot of trouble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

Bonsai seeds in fridge. Water? 1 year 10 months ago #76536

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
for completeness:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

• Page: