Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Please Stop Me From Killing Again! 12 years 6 months ago #2031

• StormRoyale
  • StormRoyale's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi there! I'm been a lurker on this site for quite some time. I love bonsais and try to keep informed by reading as much as I can.

Unfortunately, I am a serial bonsai killer. :( This is my 3rd? No, 4th Bonsai. I AM learning, but too slowly to stop the carnage.

About 2 months ago I got a Tiger Bark Ficus in hopes that it would be hearty enough to withstand my TLC.

I purchased this tree from a local nursery. It's still in the same pot and soil I got it in. I keep it outside in indirect sunlight (bright shade), because I'm afraid of the leaves burning. I water it only when the inner soil starts to get dry. (You'll notice the wooden coffee stirrer in the pot. I use that to see how wet/dry the soil is.)

When I do water, I submerse the plant until all air bubble are gone. I was also misting the leaves/truck once a day. Temperatures here in Sacramento, CA this time of year are 65f at night to 100f during the day. And dry. Very dry. Even though I live next to a river.

About a week ago, the leaves started to turn brown as if they were being burned by over exposer to the sun.... So I started bringing the tree indoors during the early mornings when it's normal spot outside is in full sun. I would put it back outside by 10am when it's spot becomes shaded.

When that didn't seem to help, I stopped misting the leaves. Thinking maybe I'm over doing it.

Leaves are still curling up and dying. Not sure what to do. Please help!

I've attached 2 photos.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Please Stop Me From Killing Again! 12 years 6 months ago #2032

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Don't submerge it in water. The only time you should water it that way is right after a repotting.
Ficus are fickle. You need to pick a spot for this tree and leave it to recover. Any change shocks them a little.
Put this tree in the shade and reduce watering a little until you see new leaves.
If its just in shock it will be fine. Sounds like you have watered it right.....

Re: Please Stop Me From Killing Again! 12 years 6 months ago #2035

• StormRoyale
It was doing fine for the first month and a half. Lots of new leaves and growth. It's only been the last week or so that it's been spiraling the drain. The temperates have been 95-105 during the day with low humidity. Could that be causing problems too?
The bonsai nursery that I got this little guy from is about 2 miles from my house. So the climate is the same. The only difference is that they kept it outside, but under screen to filter out some of the hasher direct sunlight.

Re: Please Stop Me From Killing Again! 12 years 6 months ago #2038

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Looking at your images make me think this is NOT a watering issue. Dunking the ficus in a bucket and completely soaking it should not be a problem; Ficus prefer moist over dry conditions. When the watering were the issue, individual leaves would turn yellow, dry out and drop: The trees natural response to the start of a dry spell is to remove all nutrients from the leaves, seal the leave from the rest of the plant, and then drop them.

The leaves are not damaged, and they do not have the sun-damage spots. When the sun burns ficus, you get unever brown spots on leaf-locations where the sun hit directly. Locations were the leaf was shaded would remain green. The pattern normal for such damage is not in your plant.

I *Think* you have recently had winds pick up in your area. The way the leaves have just dried out suggest wind-burn: The warm dry wind blowing over the leaves just evaporates so much moisture, that the roots can't keep up providing, and the leaves instantly dry out. Just a few hours of wind is enough if the plant is not moist enough / the wind is dry & brisk.

The nursery shelters the plants for wind, I am pretty sure. that combined with the overly moist conditions (Do they mist the nursery in the mornings?) and the mesh ensure that your plant is not adjusted to the conditions on your porch. I would let it recover indoors for a few weeks, and then when bringing it outside again, avoid a windy sunny location, unless you find a way to really provide enough water. You live in a harsh climate for moist-loving wet-tropicals like this ficus..

Re: Please Stop Me From Killing Again! 12 years 6 months ago #2085

• booms19
I wish you luck in succeeding!

Re: Please Stop Me From Killing Again! 12 years 6 months ago #2110

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Storm,

Welcome to the forum. So glad you finally *came out of hiding*. :)

I am presently reading a book dedicated to Ficus entitled "Ficus The Exotic Bonsai written by Jerry Meislik. There are about 800 species of figs however, he lists about 30 species suitable for Bonsai and about 7 of these are a little more challenging than the rest.

I'm wondering if the name "Tiger Bark" is another common name for the "Bengal Fig - (Ficus bengalensis)" as in Bengal Tiger? Jerry has it listed as one of the more challenging Ficus meaning they require more effort however, can still be made into a good bonsai.

According to Meislik, you have done the right thing by placing it in the shade as this tree was protected by a screen at the nursery. He stresses the importance of soil/moisture and temperature. "Most growers lose trees from excessive root moisture. Figs require good drainage,...wet roots mean rotting roots...A good starter soil mix is 50% inorganic and 50% organic."

He also says that Figs prefer temps between 60 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. So if you've been having temps at 105 F and windy conditions that could very well be your problem, as leatherback mentioned.

Another thing Meislik mentions is, Ficus do not like high levels of salinity soils which will cause browning or scorching of leaf edges and burns in the center of the leaf...so, is it possible the water you are using is filtered through a water-softener? If so, the salt in the water could be causing the problem. In situations with salty or hard water, repotting yearly is very beneficial. He also does not recommend submerging your Ficus in water as this results in more salt build up in the soil. He recommends watering well from the top until the water drains out through the bottom holes of the pot. Collected rain water, reverse osmosis water, or water collected from air conditioners or dehumidifers provides low salinity water. Never allow your Ficus to sit in it's drainage water as this will result in root rot.

A good way to provide more humidity is "using a plastic tray full of pebbles and surrounding the pebbles with water. Make sure the pot sits on the gravel and not in the water but just sits above it." Misting is also helpful.

Well...that's about all I can up with so far...I'm still reading the book! Hope this helps a little. :cheer:

Re: Please Stop Me From Killing Again! 12 years 6 months ago #2114

• StormRoyale
Leslie: Tiger Bark Ficus is also known as Ficus Retusa.
I'm pretty sure the heat killed my little tree. Currently, it is without leaves and it's smaller/thinner branches look like kindling.
I've brought it indoors and have it setup next to the window. It's in direct light for a few hours during the mornings and then I moved it to the other side of the house for direct light again in the late afternoon.
I'm hoping with a little TLC I can revive it. Now that it's indoors away from the 100+ temperatures, the soil is staying moist much, much longer. I also mist it twice a day.
Thank you all for the advice!

• Page: