Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77930

• KWells
  • KWells's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello! I'm new here and would love some advice!My girlfriend and I inherited six bonsai from her grandmother who passed away last week. They weren't taken care of for some time because she was unable to do so, so they look pretty rough. This is our first time with bonsai, though I've been interested for a while. I'm feeling the pressure to bring these guys back to health and keep them thriving.

I'd love help identifying them, though I think I've identified a Chinese elm, some sort of oak, and a ficus. Also, should I re-pot them before winter, or wait until spring? We live in Vancouver, BC, and these trees have lived here entirely outside all their lives. Many thanks in advance!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77938

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Beginner doing emergency repotting on mature trees in athum is recepe for disaster. Wait until spring, take the tree to your local bonsai club and get experienced supervision when doing it.

For now just focus on watering corectly.

The first tree looks like linden tree too me, Tillia. The conifer is a pine. Cannot say excactly which species.

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77939

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Beginner doing emergency repotting on mature trees in athum is recepe for disaster. Wait until spring, take the tree to your local bonsai club and get experienced supervision when doing it.

For now just focus on watering corectly.

The first tree looks like linden tree too me, Tillia. The conifer is a pine. Cannot say excactly which species.

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77943

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
All but one are deciduous so will lose leaves in autumn. Third from left is a Birch, the pine looks like two needle could be Scots, Nothing has been done to any of them for a long time, you would be better finding a local club and getting advice from them.

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77945

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Indeed two needle pine. I think scots pine is more commonly grown in Europe than in America. I guess there are native two needles as well? Would be a better guess based on location.

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77948

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
A note - all this is correct advice, assuming Northern Hemisphere in a place with frost during the approaching winter.

If you are southern hemisphere the timing is six months different. If so, find a local club right now.

In the meantime, water them well just before they get dry.

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77950

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I did not asume northern hemisphere, I read Vancover that I am quite sure is in Canada and that they have hosted the winter olympics. :)

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77951

• KWells
  • KWells's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I got them all identified, thank you so much! And yes, I’m thinking supervision would be ideal, but good to know I don’t have to do any emergency repotting.

Thank you!

Inherited 6 Bonsai, First-Time Caretaker! Do I re-pot now? 1 year 6 months ago #77952

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600

I did not asume northern hemisphere, I read Vancover that I am quite sure is in Canada and that they have hosted the winter olympics. :)

I should have added "For others with the same question "
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

• Page: