Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

General Elm car questions, especially as we get to Autumn/Winter 1 year 7 months ago #78030

• SnoodyMcFlude
  • SnoodyMcFlude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all, I recently got a little Chinese elm with the initial aim of not killing it :lol: Have been lurking on the forum and following what advice I can but got a few questions.

To give a bit of an overview, I live in SW of the UK so it's been outdoor in the shade of some other shurbs and occasionally brought out into the sunlight for a few hours. I've also had a little bit of naruko on it for a while but got rid of that as we approach autumn and just trying to focus on watering when it seems dry. Not completely sure that's been the right choice (or that I'm doing things right) as it's losing a few leaves (not really yellowing, just dropped some of them) but also got some new leaves sprouting, which seems confused. Not sure if that's normal for this time of year or potential signs of it not being happy, in general it looks okay to me but I'm new to all this.

Now it's getting colder/wetter I was just wondering what's the route to take with care. If we're in a spell of heavy rain does it make sense to try and shelter it so that it doesn't get overwatered, or do they generally cope okay? Also I've seen different advice about the cold, some talk about bringing inside when it's below 15c, but that seems crazy to me.

I was intending to leave it outside over winter, most likely in one of those foldable greenhouse/cloche things (like this, if the link works m.media-amazon.com/images/I/617MY4rsarL._AC_SL1000_.jpg) and with fleece for when there's likely to be a frost. Would that generally be enough or do they like something more substantial?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by SnoodyMcFlude.

General Elm car questions, especially as we get to Autumn/Winter 1 year 7 months ago #78033

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
In UK you can leave it outdoors all year without any special arangements whatsoever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: