Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Please Help Identify This One 1 year 6 months ago #78080

• kgast11
  • kgast11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, I'm brand new to bonsai and I kind of ended up here on accident. In the process of researching the subject, a friend of mine found out that I was looking into bonsai. They got excited because they are currently taking classes on it (they are actually from Japan), and they ran out and bought me one from Lowes. I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what I'm dealing with here. I believe it's a Ficus of some kind (maybe benjanima, golden gate, or tiger bark?), but I'm not overly familiar with ornamental fig trees. I grow several types of 3-4 ft. fruiting fig trees in pots, and I have one rubber tree, but that's about the extent of it (they are spoiled & well guarded trees). I was also wondering what style it was supposed to be. It kind of looks like it's supposed to be an informal upright, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to ruin any work that's already been done to it. It looks nice and healthy, the roots look good, and I don't see any bad spots on it anywhere, but it does look a little tall and lanky to me and I get the feeling that it currently needs some maintenance. Is it supposed to look that way? If not, how can I fix it or improve it?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Please Help Identify This One 1 year 6 months ago #78094

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Hello, this os a Ficus Microcarpa Tiger Bark...
Idk what do you mean by supposed to look this way...
It surely can be improved, but It doesn't look bad, It just lacks of lower branches, you can estimulate them by prunning the top pneus and left the lower ones unprunned.

On this pot it will develop very slowly tho...
The following user(s) said Thank You: kgast11

Please Help Identify This One 1 year 6 months ago #78095

• kgast11
Sorry if I confused you. I just wondered if it was supposed to be so tall & not have any lower limbs like that. It was gifted to me and I want to be able to take care of it properly. I grow fruiting fig trees in pots and transfer them inside during the winter, but this is the first time I’ve dealt with bonsai. It looked a little bare down low. It has a couple of little twigs growing down there. Can you clarify what you mean by “pneus” though? I’m not familiar with that term. Also, should it be repotted right away? If so, what would be a good type & size of pot for it?

Please Help Identify This One 1 year 6 months ago #78098

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
How the tree suppose to look is a decition of the artist, from now on that is you. If you want to grow lower branches last reply gave you the method.

There are absolutelly no urgent need to repot.

Please Help Identify This One 1 year 6 months ago #78101

• kgast11
Okay, thank you. I appreciate the info.

Please Help Identify This One 1 year 6 months ago #78104

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291

Can you clarify what you mean by “pneus” though? I’m not familiar with that term.

Oh sorry, that was jus my celphone corrector pulling some portuguese words... =P
It was suposed to be "branches"...

And I second Tropfrog, don't think you should repot by now, just learn how to keep it. =]

• Page: