Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78086

• Anturaju93
  • Anturaju93's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi.
I have bought my first proper bonsai from a nursery online, from Germany, a Japanese white pine. It took 5 days to receive it in Romania, where I live (bothcountries are in Europe with similar weather). When I got the pine it was in good condition:

I noticed that the soil was very compacted and water was flowing very slowly thru the soil, I actually had to make some holes in the soil so that the water can flow out the pot holes. I placed the pine outside, and watered the tree.
The problem is that I noticed that the bottom needles ware turning yellow. I searched online and found that this situation is normal, the pine is shading old needles.
After 4 days the pine looked like this:

I was watering the tree every 2 days, its close to October here so its cold outside.
Today, when I came home from work I see that my pine is continuing with needles going yellow, even an entire branch is yellow now.

I decided to take action and repot the tree. I wanted to wait until the spring to repot, but something had to be done.
I took the tree out from the pot and it was severely pot bounded so I had to remove the old soil and the roots that ware going round and round in the pot. I ended up with this:

I used 1 part commercial bonsai soil and 1 part akadama, and some used soil from the tree, mixed all together and repotted the tree in the same pot. I watered 2 times and now its outside again.
I don't know if it was a good ideea to repot now and cut the roots, but what can I do next? I don't want to lose this tree! Any help please?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78087

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50
Hello, I am afraid you did no good in repotting your JWP now, as autumn has started and it's not the right period.
Also, I hope you have not removed the white stuff covering the roots: this is mychorryza, a fungus that leaves in symbiosis with the roots and it's quite beneficial for their health.
If you did it anyway, just let the tree rest without harming it more, hoping it will recover.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78088

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50
Hello, I am afraid you did no good in repotting your JWP now, as autumn has started and it's not the right period.
Also, I hope you have not removed the white stuff covering the roots: this is mychorryza, a fungus that leaves in symbiosis with the roots and it's quite beneficial for their health.
If you did it anyway, just let the tree rest without harming it more, hoping it will recover.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78089

• Anturaju93
  • Anturaju93's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I did use some old soil to retain mycorrhiza.
I also removed all the dead yellow needles.

This is how the tree looks now:

Old roots that I cut off:

Will the branches with no needles die off, or new buds will form next spring?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78092

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Next time ask before taking action. There were absolutelly no reason for urgent repotting and it has not helped the tree.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78103

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
The browning needles is natural for this time of year, mine have just started to do it.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78122

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Next time, connect with the selling party. IF you have a problem and you do something drastic, they cannot help you anymore, as you have done things. Never just act if you do not know what is going on.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78153

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132

Will the branches with no needles die off, or new buds will form next spring?

Yes brances with no green needles die off.
In winter, with low (lower then 15c) temps with for examp 1 time a week rain is more then enough water.
That means for me, that i don't water my pines (or any other tree) from sept to march.
So if you have about the same condition, you don't need to water every 2 days, because that might cause root issues.

New Japanese white pine yellowing needles 1 year 6 months ago #78154

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
All the pictures seem to be indoors. It should be outside. You might think the weather is too harsh for it, but actually the indoors is too harsh compared to what the tree is expecting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

• Page: