Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

I think my Bonsai is sick. Please help! 1 year 6 months ago #78176

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
I have never heard of rabits or squirrels eating junipers. I reccon it is way to bitter and the sap way to sticky. Actually the only animal that shew on them here is moose. But only in late winter when they are starving and there are absoluttely nothing else to eat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

I think my Bonsai is sick. Please help! 1 year 6 months ago #78177

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160

I have never heard of rabits or squirrels eating junipers. I reccon it is way to bitter and the sap way to sticky. Actually the only animal that shew on them here is moose. But only in late winter when they are starving and there are absoluttely nothing else to eat.

Do you have moose in your garden? Would like to see that!

I think my Bonsai is sick. Please help! 1 year 6 months ago #78178

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Do you have moose in your garden? Would like to see that!

No, no moose in my garden. Just deers, hares and fox. But lots of junipers in the forrests where the moose lives. :)

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

I think my Bonsai is sick. Please help! 1 year 6 months ago #78179

• bonsairookie05
  • bonsairookie05's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks to all for offering advice and solutions! I very much appreciate it!

I put it outside on top of a table for now in hopes the animals won't get to it before I figure out where to put it and protect it for winter. Should be fine for the moment but I'll need to move it to get the morning sun, etc.

Someone asked where I heard junipers can't survive the winters. I've seen conflicting information on this subject. I am aware junipers in general tolerate winters as long as they don't get windburned. I've had them in my yard in the past.

However, I am uniformed as to how bonsai junipers compare to other full sized juniper plants. Junipers in general are fine but I've seen posts on the web where people say bonsai's are fine only down to 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit. Below that they say to bring them in.

That won't do it here. We get temperatures occasionally down to -25F and average 55 inches of snow. So, it is likely that wherever I can put it out of the wind will not be accessible during the depths of winter unless I shovel a path. Then, I'd need to be sure the pot doesn't freeze to whatever surface it is placed on, etc.

Someone said to cover it with snow. I could do that as soon as we get some but with freeze/thaw cycles it could go from snow to a melted block of ice before it ultimately thaws in the spring.

I'll do whatever it takes to save this specimen but just need to figure it out so really do appreciate all the responses. I wish there was a place nearby that I could take it and have an expert look at it.

Thank you all again! You are fantastic!

I think my Bonsai is sick. Please help! 1 year 6 months ago #78180

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well prolonged time below -15f (-26C) may hurt even a healthy juniper if exposed to wind. We normally say to protect the tree below -10C. That is the safe advice. By protecting we mean cold frame, unheated greenhouse or shed. Putting it into living room conditions during a cold spell will certanly kill it.

Mine had constantly below -10c for 6 weeks in a row. We went down to -18C at most. The tree were fine. I have never tried lower thou.

According to the USDA zone classification junipers in ground are hardy to zone 2-7. As a guidline add one zone for trees in pots. So hardiness zone 3-7 then. That equals -40f or C.

I really think that a healthy juniper would be fine in your area with some protection. However your tree in that bad condition may not make it.

I think my Bonsai is sick. Please help! 1 year 6 months ago #78181

• bonsairookie05
  • bonsairookie05's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you Tropfrog-

Based on someone telling me to bury it in snow I am assuming it will not need sun during the winter months. If so, I think I could wrap the little guy in burlap to protect it and put it in a corner away from most wind under the deck. I have a little time to get a game plan together.

The biggest concern is just how bad the tree is now and how much it will recover in the meantime when I assume it is winding down for winter.

They told me it is 21 years old so I would think it must have a good root system. I think it had to be good when I got it and I have been diligent watering it so am hoping the roots are healthy. Just don't know how much damage keeping it inside did to it even with some fresh air every day.

Now that it is outside I assume I am to keep watering and misting until it gets pretty cold. Not sure how to taper that off. This thing will be below freezing for most of the time for about 4 months.

I think my Bonsai is sick. Please help! 1 year 6 months ago #78182

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It was me that said bury it in snow :)

The tree proboably allready stoped growing for the season. You will not see any signs of recovery until spring.

I don't know your locations weather. But here I have stoped watering for the season. 10c and raining almost every day now. While overwatering is not a problem in summer, cold and damp all the time is not good. Just make sure to check soil regularily and whater only when it looks dry.

There seems to be an inflation in age of trees. People that sell trees for a living knows that they get more payed if the tree is older. So they tend to double or tripple the age. I do not think your tree is more than 10 years.

Maybe burlap under the dock works. At least it is worth trying. Mine are in full sun all winter.

• Page: