Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79235

• Xt1an
  • Xt1an's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'll try and make this a short tale:
Bought an Apple, cut it open, a seed was growing, could not kill seedling, planted in small bonsai pot. (medium: coco/earth/wormcast/clay pebbles) it grew. (surprise surprise) i feed it mild nutrient (liquid) and because i only had coco on hand, i water often ( hence liver wort hanging out). its a year old now and is still super small but healthy...i have some questions.

tree is 1.5" tall give or take a few 1/16ths of an inch

1) why is it so tiny still?
2) i like it like this but is it a good thing ?
3) when should i change the season or should i even? (indoor tented basically lives in a automated paradise)
3)will fruit be on the playing field some day in the future for this mammoth beast ?

if there is a read i could read please indicate, i am here because i have no luck searching the web with my noob knowledge about trees. veggies and plants i get. but some bitter sweet guidance if you please :)

and thank you in advance for any and all support !

Xt1an.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79238

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
seeds do not always come true to type. Also it is inside, trees belong outside. This should be in the ground not a small pot if you want it to get bigger

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79240

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160
You must be happy, all we do (or trying) is to keep our tree small but, are you sure this is an apple tree?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xt1an

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79241

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
1: it is a seedling in a bonsai pot. That takes time to grow. Deal with it or plant in the ground outdoors for faster development.

2: if you like it, it is good. What you like is all that matters.

3: outdoors is the best if the species is hardy to your area. If you still want to grow indoors in controlled area, try to copy the environment outdoor where the species is hardy.

3: When apples is grown from seed it takes 10-20 years for first fruit. You are looking at the long end of the interval in a small pot. When it do fruit, it will not be the same variety as the parent. Most likelly non eatable.

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79244

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I have apple tree grown from a seed discovered in an apple by my then 4 year old grandson. Mine grew more straight up wanted to be more broom style until I trimmed and wired it this year. Yours appears to want to be a shrub, which makes me wonder what kind of apple it is.

Grafted trees don't breed true, so that may be what this is.

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79246

• Xt1an
I'm not 100% sure but i believe it was from a Gala (red). bought at Metro grocery store to eat. weird thing was apple was not old looking but seeds inside had already sprouted. This was what i grew. it came up said hello and then stunted for a while, eventually evolving to what it is now. i love it tiny like this and am very proud, but just unsure if i caused this with my small living space or if Monsanto or irradiation maybe the cause ? everything i find shows people growing larger foliage and stock and they have to maintain it all the time to keep small, this guys is maintenance free, just add water/food.

its a year old now and i want to transition it seasonally now that i feel it will survive. I am curious what that will do. will it survive in pseudo winter if i cut the hours and cool the temps for three months ?

looking for feedback pls :)

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79248

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you are in the northern hemisphere , the tree should not grow now. It should be leafless and dormant.

Apple trees are not true to their parents. Hence the information about what variety the parent is have no importancy. The tree you have is not a red gala.

If it will survive or not is very hard to tell since I don't think anyone has tried growing apple bonsai in climate controlled environment indoors. But since it has not got dormant it's first year in life, I am leaning towards no, it will not survive.

I would suggest to bring it outdoors come spring and leave it there for the rest off it's life. Trees belong outdoors.

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79256

• Xt1an
Thank you, i will consider transitioning it for outdoor living this spring, I live in Canada. I'm hoping it will survive. I brought it this far on noob knowledge. lol so who knows. my other green things have nice lives.
Any Guess or way to tell what it may be ?
...to me its the oddest thing i have ever seen.

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79259

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Apple seed do not come true to type. It could be anything, that is how new varieties are found. If you keep it in a small pot it will not grow bigger. Preventing a deciduous tree from losing its' leaves will increase the speed at which it will die. Get it outside as soon as possible.

Why is my apple tree soooo tiny ? (not a complaint) 1 year 2 months ago #79261

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In Canada this time of the year bringing a decidious tree in leafs outdoors is not a good idea. Very risky. But cooling it down to 5c until spring would be my suggestion.

• Page: