Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

To Bonsai or not to Bonsai? Three year old Christmas tree. 1 year 2 months ago #79302

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Sorry, wrong link.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Martinmoose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

To Bonsai or not to Bonsai? Three year old Christmas tree. 1 year 2 months ago #79305

• Martinmoose
  • Martinmoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks, Tropfrog, I only put it inside for 10 days at Christmas, and I don't think that has done any harm to it, it was already looking spindly from when it was not in such a good position however it looks a lot better than it did after repotting and finding a shadier spot.
Based on what you have said, I think I will repot soon and then pinch some of those buds out later. A year ago it only seemed to have one flush after repotting, so if I repot now would you suggest pinching out in the Autumn? Or if not how do I recognise the flushes?

To Bonsai or not to Bonsai? Three year old Christmas tree. 1 year 2 months ago #79306

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Not sure you got my message right. Do not repot. Only up pot. Then wait for the tree to produce at least one healthy growt flush more before you pinch the next one.
Spruce only produce one flush of growth per year. This years has allready pushed week way to early. So leave next push in spring 2024 alone to help the tree recover. If healthy and strong pinching can start in spring 2025.

Your photo clearly shows that 10 days indoors is enough to make the tree push weak way to early. If you keep doing that it will never be strong enough for pinching.

To Bonsai or not to Bonsai? Three year old Christmas tree. 1 year 2 months ago #79307

• Martinmoose
  • Martinmoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks, I have never heard of the term up potting before, but I meant that. I'll try pinching in 2025.

• Page: