Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Caring for a young tree grown from seed. 1 year 1 month ago #79280

• lucasreynesmatter
  • lucasreynesmatter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, I have a 2 year old Acer (not sure which kind) that I grew from seed and was hoping someone could give me tips on how to care for it. It has grown quite slowly but the stem is hardening and the leaves are now getting bigger. I have attached some photos of it (it is 20/25cm tall). Should I be doing anything at this stage? Feeding, pruning etc? And is it best to water it with a special regime or can I just water it whenever the soil gets dry? Also, since it sprouted leave it has always grown new ones before the old ones have fallen off. It now looks as though all three leaves are yellowing and may fall off soon. Should I be worried?

I would be very grateful for any help!

Thanks in advance,

Lucas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Caring for a young tree grown from seed. 1 year 1 month ago #79296

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
No photos. But if you are in the northern hemisphere and have an acer with leafs on this time off the year you have a serious problem. Maples are decidious trees and should be leaf less this time off the year. The leaf fall in september to november, not now.

Caring for a young tree grown from seed. 1 year 3 weeks ago #79537

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Lucas

Hey Lucas,

Great to see you growing this from seed.

A few pointers to get you even more success:

- I doubt your acer is an acer. It is an elm or a birch, from what I can see here.
- The tree is inside. But it does not like being inside. It really needs to live outside. (!) Once frost is over, move it outside in a bright position, ideally with a good number of hours of sunshine. For now, you could put it in a cold place that does not freeze, until it is ready to go into the garden for good
- Watering.. Always when the soil is getting dry. Keep in mind: Outside in summer this will be very quickly, so match location, pot-size to your watering abilities

For now, just keep it healthy and growing for a year.

Caring for a young tree grown from seed. 1 year 2 weeks ago #79584

• lucasreynesmatter
  • lucasreynesmatter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks very much for your reply! I will try to find a place for it outside but it is difficult as I live in a city apartment with no garden or balcony. There might be a little niche on the roof I can put it on though.

Thanks again for your help!

• Page: