Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Lawson Cypress (Chamaecyparis lawsonia) struggling with transplant :( 10 months 2 weeks ago #80477

• tincass
  • tincass's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all! This is my first foray into bonsai so bear with me but I've picked up a young Lawson cypress and it's been quickly deteriorating over the past few days. I yanked it out the side of the road (possibly attached to mother tree?) and it had some developed roots and lovely green foliage. I've since potted it in coarse gravel and for a few days, kept it on a windowsill and frequently watered it. Despite (or probably as a result of) this, the foliage very quickly dried out and fell off and I think it might be on it's way out.

I live in a temperate climate where it's approaching summer now but I can't easily place it outside for a few days yet (not home). Any recommendations for care? What am I doing wrong re: watering, soil, etc?

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lawson Cypress (Chamaecyparis lawsonia) struggling with transplant :( 10 months 2 weeks ago #80479

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
You cannot grow Cypress indoors.

Ripping trees out of the ground may not be the best start into the hobby. So much that can go wrong. Without basic knowledge it will for sure. Even experienced growers fails sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tincass

Lawson Cypress (Chamaecyparis lawsonia) struggling with transplant :( 10 months 1 week ago #80492

• tincass
  • tincass's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi sorry for the late reply!

I've since moved the cypress outdoors and it's already doing a lot better :)

• Page: