• Page:

TOPIC:

Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2148

• joncoh101
  • joncoh101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Hey guys, just thought i would share some info that i learned today. A nearby Bonsai nursery owner told me that he and his wife root their cuttings in Vermiculite and Perlite in a 50/50 ratio and they root like wonders. My cousin also uses this method. I have had bad results with past cuttings haha so this is a new test for me and my cutting skills

The bag with the box tape around it is the Vermiculite and the bag that looks like cocaine from a distance is the Perlite. Lol this stuff looks like bomb making material!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by joncoh101.

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2149

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Jon,

Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing. :) You might want to label those bags so the right person doesn't get the wrong impression who then calls the police on you. :pinch: LOL!

Here is some interesting info on these two substances. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite ~ would be wise to make sure the product you are buying is 100% pure/non-contaminated/aspestos-free. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlite

Good luck with your cuttings. Let us know how it works for you! :cheer:

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2164

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks for the links!

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 4 months ago #2461

• sai
  • Thanks received: 1
Some more additional information's. There are soft wood cuttings, hard wood cuttings and medium ones all of which may not root in same perlite environment. Root hormones like IBA(Indol butyric acid), combinations of IAA and NAA , Dilute solutions of vinegar (acetic acid 10%) etc can be used to produce more roots. But we need to standardize various cuttings with different combinations and once we get the right combination it can be passed on to others for trying. I know it is little bit scientific and not for lay man. But just information only.

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 4 months ago #2462

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Oh ok thanks sai, more scientific is cool

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 4 months ago #2470

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Some more additional information's. There are soft wood cuttings, hard wood cuttings and medium ones all of which may not root in same perlite environment. Root hormones like IBA(Indol butyric acid), combinations of IAA and NAA , Dilute solutions of vinegar (acetic acid 10%) etc can be used to produce more roots. But we need to standardize various cuttings with different combinations and once we get the right combination it can be passed on to others for trying. I know it is little bit scientific and not for lay man. But just information only.

How does one learn the right combinations for the various cuttings? I am neither a mathematician nor a chemist. Is there a resource available that provides these combinations for the various types of cuttings?

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 4 months ago #2474

• sai
  • Thanks received: 1
IBA is costly and available in Chemical labs. Prepare 100 ppm (parts per million) IBA by dissolving 100 milli gram IBA in 100 liters water ( or 1 mg in 1 lit by accurate pippette ie scientific equipment). Also prepare 200, 400, 600,1000 and 2000 ppm solutions. (with the help of a chemist as far as possible to ensure accuracy).
Then dip 3 cuttings each in separate vessels filled with above solutions. Then wait for a few days to watch. If more rooting happens in any of the above combination, select that. Or continue experiment with other combinations like 1500, 2000, 2500, 4000 etc. If more roots come in any say 500 ppm then you can get more accurate results if done again with 400, 500, 600 ppm separately to catch right ppm.

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 4 months ago #2477

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

How does one learn the right combinations for the various cuttings? I am neither a mathematician nor a chemist. Is there a resource available that provides these combinations for the various types of cuttings?

Good question. I would say: Remember that most plants have a naturaly tendency to grow roots. So.. The ideal combo is not too relevant. More relevant is that you take care of the plants properly. Only if you ar interested in publishing a paper about it, or if you are planning on doing hundreds of cuttings will experimenting become interesting. As long as you have only a handfull of cuttings, I would just use a standard product / combo.

But that is just me..

Re: Vermiculite + Perlite = Cuttings 12 years 4 months ago #2479

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Sai,
I apologise for my ignorance however, your reply is like a foreign language to me and way beyond my understanding. I have an artist's mind. :)

Hi Jelle,
Whew! :whistle: Thanks Buddy! I can handle this. As hard as it is for me to lose the tinyest of seedlings or cuttings, I will have to stick to my method of trial and error with a touch of common sense and a little help from my friends. Appreciate your input. ;)

• Page: