Bonsai forum

Gifted a Juniper bonsai, What to do?

• Violet
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Gifted a Juniper bonsai, What to do? was created by Violet

Posted 5 months 3 weeks ago #81834
I have a small jade bonsai and I've been interested in getting another bonsai at some point. My mom got me a baby juniper for my birthday without knowing that it needs to be kept outside. My condo doesn't have any outside space, so I need to know what I can do inside to keep it healthy. How many hours of light? Humidity? Frequency of watering? Also, it's very dried out from being in a bonsai kit and a bunch of its little needles fell off even though I was very gentle. I normally wouldn't repot at this time of year, but it was just in some gel media in a tiny pot, so I loosened up the roots and put it in a bigger pot with some real soil. I misted it heavily and have it sitting under a full spectrum grow light next to my jade. Is there anything else I can do to help it? Did I do too much? I've done a bit of research on bonsai, but I'm still very new at this. Thank you!

P.S. can someone identify exactly which type of juniper it is?
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by Violet

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1363

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Gifted a Juniper bonsai, What to do?

Posted 5 months 3 weeks ago #81836
There is nothing you can do. Without proper winter dormancy it will die.

There are never any excuse for repotting trees in the wrong season. It is always more stressful for the tree than any soil they comes with.
by Tropfrog

• Violet
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Violet on topic Gifted a Juniper bonsai, What to do?

Posted 5 months 3 weeks ago #81843
So I should have just kept it in the pot it was already in with the gel? Darn, I guess I'll know that for next time. Is there anything I might be able to do to save it, or is there absolutely 0% chance of survival?
by Violet

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1363

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Gifted a Juniper bonsai, What to do?

Posted 5 months 3 weeks ago #81844
I have never seen trees delivered in gel. What is that? Like the amercan desert Gelly? Sounds strange to me.

Anyway, there are a false idea that some people have that trees come in something that are acute dangerous for the trees. But in fact trees are delivered in the same substrate they have been produced in. If the soil is good for comercial production it is good for a beginner until the owner is ready and the time is right.

The tree still have a chanse of survival, how big it is depends on how the repotting was done, the aftercare and the environment. In livingroom conditions it will die, there are no way around it. Newly repotted trees are also sensitive to frost. The biggest chanse of survival is if it is kept in a cold but frost free spot.
by Tropfrog