Bonsai forum

Advice - Identify type of Bonsai and Care - Beginner from Montana

• Montana Bonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Advice - Identify type of Bonsai and Care - Beginner from Montana was created by Montana Bonsai

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #81958
Greetings, I am a new bonsai owner living in the dry windy climate of Montana, USA.

My bonsai dries out quickly, it’s hard to keep up.

It is losing “leaves”? Or “pines”? Do you know what kind of bonsai this is? Please see photos below.

It is in the room with the most light, also the warmest room in the house.

Other plants are doing ok, this Bonsai seems to need a lot of attention, can you give some advice?

Thank you for your guidance.
by Montana Bonsai

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1363

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Advice - Identify type of Bonsai and Care - Beginner from Montana

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #81960
This is a juniper procumbens nana. It is a teperate tree that will die If kept indoors. Move it outdoors emedantly.
by Tropfrog

• Montana Bonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Montana Bonsai on topic Advice - Identify type of Bonsai and Care - Beginner from Montana

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #81963
Thank you for your reply!!

I wonder why it was sold here, in Montana if it is an outdoor plant because it gets very cold here. Is it able to handle the winter and wind? What is the lowest temperature it can take?

Currently it is in the 30s & lows in the teens, but it will get much colder with snow.

I could take it to my family in Oregon and they could keep it outside where it’s more temperate… would you suggest that?

I got it at a pop up table from an Asian man on the side of the street. He didn’t give much advice except about watering and said sometimes take outside, but he definitely did not say to keep outside all the time. I was told the bonsai was 6 years old. Just giving you all the details.

Thank you!!
by Montana Bonsai

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1363

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Advice - Identify type of Bonsai and Care - Beginner from Montana

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #81965
Junipers are very hardy. I bet if you pay atention you find them growing in gardens around you. Very common landskapen tree in cold climates.

It can absolutely do fine outdoors. In winter put it in a wind sheltered place, when snow arives make sure it is burried in snow all the way to spring.
by Tropfrog