Bonsai forum

New to Bonsai - Trying to create one by myself. Do you guys have some tipps?

• Dissi
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

long story short:
I have some branches of a mountain-maple and want to do two things with it:
1. trying to get a little tree (about 1-1,5m tall)
2. trying to get some Bonsais out of them branches

What would be best practice to do this?

I have cut the branches in little twigs yesterday but the tree was cut about a month ago, still there are some green twigs fortunately. So i've pruned the brwon twigs and put the good ones in wet toiletpaper yesterday. Today the rootinghormones (pouder) should arrive and also the bonsai dirt. So i would start with the rooting.
Do you have some tipps for that?
How long it should take ca. to grow some roots?

I plan to root them inside, there are over 20°C, outside it would be just stress for them i guess since the weather changes often between rain and sun. I planned to create a little house of an carton and let one side open to close it with some foil to keep it wet inside. They should get many light but not direct sunlight inside.

What else should i get aware of?

Is it a good idea to water them sometimes with water mixed with rootingpouder? Or better not?

If you have additional tipps i would be really greatfull.

Thank you ver much,
Dissi
by Dissi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic New to Bonsai - Trying to create one by myself. Do you guys have some tipps?

Posted 4 weeks 2 days ago #82885
If your twigs comes from your local area they are fully hardy and should be outdoors exposed to the elements. Indoor conditions is lethal for most temperate plants.

Put them outdoors in a full shade. After rooting gradually move them to more sun.

A plastic bag over the pot sometimes help rooting and sometimes make them rot. Important to take it of and give some air from time to time to avoid it. I prefere not messing with covers. It may get slightly less success rate but it is less work. A smaller success rate can always be compensated with planting more cuttings.

There are no need for bonsai soil nor watering with rooting hormone after planting.
Last Edit:4 weeks 2 days ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 4 weeks 2 days ago by Tropfrog.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic New to Bonsai - Trying to create one by myself. Do you guys have some tipps?

Posted 4 weeks 2 days ago #82886
You will not get twigs to root like that. The cuttings have to be prepared properly and either softwood or hardwood depending on species and time of year. There is a course here that is about development form seeds and cuttings very useful and good value. You will avoid mistakes if you get it.
by m5eaygeoff

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic New to Bonsai - Trying to create one by myself. Do you guys have some tipps?

Posted 4 weeks 1 day ago #82890
I do not think this is about if it works or not. I think it is about how big the succes rate will be. I do not follow many rules in cutting propagation. But most atempts I have done is somewhere between 4 to 75% succes rate. Just plant enough of them and you will have a few ones that strikes.
by Tropfrog