Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2248

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
well as for the repot if you do go that route i sugjest not disturbing the roots as much as possible, just knock off the loose dirt and fill in the spaces in the pot with a gravel type soil.
as for the white stuff on the leaves it is unlikely mildew the leaves would not stay wet long enough for that. it may be hard water deposits from misting with tap water ...is it dry? does it wipe off easy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2255

• Michael
  • Michael's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
when i first got it, the leaves were alot more glossy looking, now they have lost that strong glossy green color...cant imagine a few spider mites can cause that much damage.

The white stuff comes off fairly easy, if i rub it with my fingertips.
Looks more dry now, compared to when i first got the tree....however if i mist it, its stays wet for quite some time if you ask me...

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2263

• Artmyth
  • Thanks received: 2
I think it has a great chance of survival - as posted earlier carefully wash each leaf each week with your mixture and eventually you will overcome the pests.

keep the area around the tree - ie the table top etc clean too

I've frequently rescued pest infested trees and plants from other gardeners and been able to save them - and if I can do it anyone can lol

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2264

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Michael, :)

I had an infestation of spider mites about two months ago on my English Ivy and there was white stuff on some of the leaves that, if you look closely, looks like a thin layer of webbing. They even made a small tent of very fine spider webbing between a few closely spaced leaves although, I think your leaves are spaced too far apart for them to make a tent...could that be what your white stuff is?
Leatherback's solution spray works well. ;)

I have to disagree with *leatherback* on the water issue (sorry J). I'm currently reading a book dedicated specifically to the Ficus species and those that are suitable for Bonsai. The book is "Ficus The Exotic Bonsai" written by Jerry Meislik and is a comprehensive study of the Fig. The book states that over or underwatering can cause the leaves to yellow and the tree to drop it's leaves. Ficus do not like to have wet roots from sitting in water and are prone to developing root rot.

Remember...do not feed a sick tree. Once you have treated your Ficus (and it may very well need a second treatment in about a week to 10 days), the tree will need a recovery period of at least a month afterward. Keep checking to make sure the pests are gone for good. Then you can begin feeding again.
Best of luck! :cheer:

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2267

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

I have to disagree with *leatherback* on the water issue (sorry J). I'm currently reading a book dedicated specifically to the Ficus species and those that are suitable for Bonsai. The book is "Ficus The Exotic Bonsai" written by Jerry Meislik and is a comprehensive study of the Fig. The book states that over or underwatering can cause the leaves to yellow and the tree to drop it's leaves. Ficus do not like to have wet roots from sitting in water and are prone to developing root rot.

Not a problem Leslie. Just is the way it is. Somethign written in a book, vss personal experience. My monster ficus in my office was putting 2-4 feet per year on top of her, forcing me to cut her down to the roots twice in 2 years, as it was pushing the ceiling in my office. And that was sitting in a tray of water :D

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2269

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Not a problem Leslie. Just is the way it is. Somethign written in a book, vss personal experience. My monster ficus in my office was putting 2-4 feet per year on top of her, forcing me to cut her down to the roots twice in 2 years, as it was pushing the ceiling in my office. And that was sitting in a tray of water :D

Hi Jelle. In most cases (but not all) books specializing on a certain topic are usually based on both personal experience and extensive research and that comes through loud and clear with Meislik's book however, there is always the exception to the rule such as with your Ficus. With Meislik's 30+ years experience in Bonsai, his 25 year love affair with Ficus along with his writing and speaking track record I feel quite confident in his knowledge based on personal experience. You can check out his credentials and his Ficus forum here on his website: www.bonsaihunk.us/index.html
Enjoy! :cheer:

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2270

• Michael
  • Michael's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
You might be right about the white stuff...might just be a thin layer of web, or perhaps residue from tap water.

After using the solution spray mentioned earlier by leatherback...i havent seen any more spiders, or white gooie stuff :)

It has lost a lot of leaves during all this....but i certainly hope its on its way to recovery :)

Re: pale yellow and brownish looking leaves 12 years 5 months ago #2272

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Michael,

Yes...by the way you described it earlier...being able to rub it off with your fingers and how it stays wet for quite some time...sounded like spider webbing to me.

Hang in there; I know how worrysome this can be however, Ficus are quite resilient. My Ficus Benjamina went thru an infestation during the summer and she is now growing new leaves everywhere. Yours will too! ;)

• Page: