Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Some questions about getting started 12 years 5 months ago #2232

• Nserl
  • Nserl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I've been interested in bonsai for a long time and I think it's finally time for me to try my hand at it. So here are some of my questions: How do I start growing from seeds? Or is this an ok time of year to be considering that? Will it be alright to grow a seedling at the beginning indoors, or should I treat it as a regular tree and let it thrive outside? I'm considering either a coniferous, or deciduous for my first one here, and I live in Texas to give an idea of the climate. I've browsed the from seed section on the website and it was helpful about the potting but i'm still curious about the opinion of others. Also, the video at this link www.bonsaiempire.com/grow/video-seeds does not work for me. Perhaps someone could let the site admin know and maybe fix it? Or if the video is posted somewhere else i'd be happy to be redirected. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that contributes!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Some questions about getting started 12 years 5 months ago #2237

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi Nserl,

Welcome to the forum.

Growing from seeds.. Realize: It is a slow process starting from seed. While you are waiting for your seeds to become little trees, you might want to get some hands-on experience with nursery stock; THat is available for a decent price this time of year, and you will have less worries re. killing the tree; Imaging growing a seedling for 5 years and killing it the first time you trim the roots!?

You *could* grow seedlings indoors. But do not seed them at the start of winter. In the middle of winter there will be very little light available, and you run the risk of the seedling dying before it has had a fighting chance.

I put Juniperus seeds in a bowl in my garden just last week. They need a cold period (Stratification) to germinate, as do many deciduous seeds. By planting them now, you will let Nature take its course. I think you can also stratify juniperus by chucking it in a zip-lock bag with soil / moss and placing it in your vegatable drawer in the fridge. After a few weeks to months you should get the first sprouts. Once you do, you can start planting them. Once again: I would only do this in Feb or so: That way your trees will enteer spring, rather than winter, after germination.

Most deciduous trees know very well when to sprout the seeds. Let them decide when is the best time. It will help you to grow stronger trees. If you pant them bnow, and they do survive, you run the risk of very tall, thin spindly trees.

Re: Some questions about getting started 12 years 5 months ago #2243

• Artmyth
  • Thanks received: 2
leatherback says it all.

Starting from seed is a very long process and fun in itself, I've been experimenting with seeds for about 7 years I have several maples, elms, and hornbeams started from seed. I usually have several packs of seeds in the fridge, and in fall I collect my own pine, maple, and anyything else i can find.

My largest trees that have been started from seed still need 5 years of growth minimum to even consider starting to bonsai, but I am taking cuttings from them so I guess the process is cumulative.

I also buy nursery stock, and once in a while a bonsai from a nursery to work on.

definitely get yourself some nursery stock to start the process and try some seeds - don't be disappointed if the seeds fail - it's par for the course, oh and take note if you start your seeds outdoors and they don't come up in the first year don't throw out the pots and earth - many times a seed will germinate 2 or even 3 years after you have planted it - one of my nicest Japanese maples was recovered from the compost after I had thrown 'failed' seeds away two years before. It sprouted, and grew, one day i was about to turn the compost and there it was in all its scarlet glory growing next to a rotten heap of tomatoes lol

best of luck

Last edit: Post by Artmyth.

Re: Some questions about getting started 12 years 5 months ago #2245

• Nserl
  • Nserl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Perhaps i'll give nursery stock a try instead since it is a long process to start from seeds and I could do both at the same time.

Re: Some questions about getting started 12 years 4 months ago #2723

• aklister71
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
:ohmy: years?

j/k :blush: ha-ha, I realized that it would take many years before I get a tree to Bonsai from my seeds. lol :silly: - just love the smileys.

The Pagoda takes 15 years before it grows white flowers.

I also have a nursery stock Juniper to start with. I will be moving to Missouri in February so I will need to research the planting time a bit more. I believe mid-April is the last frost.

I read somewhere that the trees need 40-60 days of hibernation (cold). I am planning on setting the in the garage and monitor the temp when I get home.

:huh: - lots more research to do on the trees I want to try.

I have a Juniper now. Any thoughts of which tree would be good to get as nursery stock / training aid. I plan to look around - see what tree chooses me. *** :whistle: ***

Last edit: Post by aklister71.

Re: Some questions about getting started 12 years 4 months ago #2727

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
hm.. Personally, I would not pre-determine which species of tree you are looking for; You mighgt miss out on a great oppertunity; Main things are:

- Is the tree healthy (Or do you know you can get it back to health!)
- Does it have an interesting / well developed trunk

if both of these are a yes, you can grab it, and start working on it. The time it takes to grow from seeds are mainly for developing a trunk. So if you get a stopck plant, you want that to at least be on it's way top developing.

In general most trees that can grow to an old age are consider well suited for bonsai, and trees that cannot (Like birch, which hardly ever lives to be 100 yrs old) are less suitable. (The difference sits in the wood: Faster growing, faster dying trees often have softer wood, which rot away easily, potentially giving you trouble after trimming).

Re: Some questions about getting started 12 years 4 months ago #2730

• aklister71
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thnx leatherback - I appreciate the information. I will keep my eyes opened, of course I can't get another nursery stock until I get to Missouri. Don't want to transport to much stuff when I move.

I need decrease my belongings, not increase. But I will still keep looking. lol Ya never know when I will find the perfect tree.

I am moving in to help my parents - they own 4.2 acres in Mossouri, USA. Lotsa area and beauty to work with. Perfect area to build a Bonsai Garden.

• Page: