Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Some beginner questions... 12 years 6 months ago #2310

• bobalobabingbong
  • bobalobabingbong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone. I have a few questions for you guys.

First, my bonsai is potted in as far as I can tell, all rocks except a patch at the bottom of the trunk. Should I transfer to soil? I kinda want some moss growing, so I think I will need to.

I was also wondering where you guys recommend I get my supplies (online)? I have a shop here in the Bronx, but I generally prefer to check around the web first.

For a humidity drip tray, does it need rocks?

How can I tell the age of my tree?

I have veery small bugs crawling around the soil and rocks in my pot. Are all bugs bad? I'm going to pick up some organic pesticide I think. It looks as if the leaves are getting eaten, though I see no sign of bugs on them. Only in the soil.

Thanks in advance!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by bobalobabingbong.

Re: Some beginner questions... 12 years 6 months ago #2313

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hi there Bob,
Welcome.
First things first....What kind of tree do you own? that is going to make a huge difference in the answers.
Here's some general info though..
If it's an indoor tree you can re-pot it now. That will get rid of the bugs, as long as you bare root it and put it in fresh bonsai soil. You don't really need a humidity tray. Some people swear by them but I read somewhere that the tray only increases humidity around the tree by one percent.
You can't tell the age of your tree because the only way to find out is to count the rings on the trunk.
Oh yeah, don't grow moss in with the tree. Moss is normally placed on the soil for showing. Moss requires dampness and most bonsai trees cannot be kept damp. That would lead to root rot.
Can you post a picture of your tree for us?

Re: Some beginner questions... 12 years 6 months ago #2314

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy bob,
sorry pinkham no bad blood but i would have to disagree with what you are saying.
bugs are not always a bad thing i have had tiny soil bugs living in my little ficus for years now they stay in the soil and actualy are benificial because they break down the soil nutrients(the soil is about 35% organics)they are kinda football shaped brownish things and very small .red spider mites,anything with wings, aphids,fluffy white things and scale insects are the bad ones.
humidity trays are very helpful espesially in arid conditions like indoors during winter. the trays are not for humidity around the plant rather they will help the soil retain moisture longer.
moss is not a bad thing either although i have only found one speices that will survive indoors. as long as 1/3 of the soil is open to the air the soil will be able to breathe.i just focus on the tree not the moss's survival it will just be longer intervals between watering.
as for the age with bonsai it is all the apearance not the actual age. we are all trying to make young trees look as old as possible that is the major focus of the bonsai art.
keep us all posted pics would be great.

Re: Some beginner questions... 12 years 6 months ago #2315

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Not all bugs are bad Manofthetrees...these ones are eating the leaves.
as for humidity trays, moss, soil mixture and beneficial bugs absolutely no bad blood. Bonsai techniques very. If something works for you, who am I to tell you it's right or wrong.
Isn't that why we're all here......opinions and information :)

Last edit: Post by Pinkham.

Re: Some beginner questions... 12 years 6 months ago #2317

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi there Bob, :)

I read your posting and viewed the photos of your Brush Cherry over in the 'General' section of the forum...I hadn't yet had the time to respond. Perhaps you could post your photos here as well?...I'll explain why:

I am a little concerned about all the *white stuff* covering the leaves of your plant. Do you know what it is from? Was your plant like this when you bought it? Along with the photo(s) would you please describe the white stuff...what is the texture like, soft, fuzzy, hard or scaly, does it rub off easily or is it hard to remove? Is it present on the edges of the pot, the rocks or under the rocks? Anything else you can think of would be very helpful.

As for the bugs, if they are a brown/black-ish in colour, scurry very fast in and out of and around on the soil on longish legs, and fly/hoover around in the air near the plant...they could be the 'fungus gnat'. Here is a good photo of them:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungus_gnat
Here is another decent link with more information on the 'fungus gnat: www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/FirstAid.html
Scroll down the page until you find the "Fungus Gnat" heading.

I think both of these issues need to be addressed before we worry about anything else for the time being. We want you to have a happy, healthy bonsai! ;)

Re: Some beginner questions... 12 years 6 months ago #2318

• bobalobabingbong
Thanks for the replies!

A link to the pictures I've taken: www.bonsaiempire.com/gallery/Danos-Bonsai-Gallery

It's an Australian brush cherry.
I found this link: www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/11...arf-brush-cherry.php
Also this one: www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/76...ian-brush-cherry.php

Though the first seems most likely.

I wouldn't mind bugs that left my tree alone. But the leaves are being eaten. The leaves that aren't affected are keeping a nice color, so that's good.

The white stuff rubs off. Product of hard water, or sign of another issue?

Last edit: Post by bobalobabingbong.

Re: Some beginner questions... 12 years 6 months ago #2322

• bobalobabingbong
Looks like I got a Centipede or the like in there too :\ New soil and pesticide coming. Going to clean the roots, and re-pot it.

BTW, I named my tree Hideki. :)

• Page: