• Page:

TOPIC:

New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2360

• joncoh101
  • joncoh101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Hey ladies and gents, have not been posting as often as normal as i have been busy studying for science and maths finals haha. Well today, i had a break from studying and got to work on a tree i recently got given from a friend who got given it from some other guy. Its not the most beautiful of trees but hey, i dont mind abit of practise!

The tree looked like it really needed a re-pot. The soil looked shot, the needles looked droopy and abit sad and the roots were absolutely packed to the brim of the pot, you shall see in the photos. They were so packed that i had to soak the roots in a bucket of water, even that didnt work very well. Im hoping i didnt either take too many roots off or too little roots off. Well i shall see wont I?

You will see that the tree was lying completely flat in the pot before so i wired it to secure the tree in the new soil but also to give it abit of a angle, i also slapped a rock in there, it looks cool and it aids in propping the tree up. ;)

Could anyone that knows this particular type of juniper enlighten me abit? Any info to do with it will be useful. Oh and the soil mix i made was some leftover 50/50 perlite and vermiculite, bonsai soil mix, bone meal, and abit of superthrive!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2366

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Jon,

Is this perhaps a Cypress? Here are some photos of cypress bonsais:
www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&sou...10l2794l1.2.8.1l12l0
Here is some Cypress care info: www.bonsaitreecarecenter.com/bonsai-cypress-tree.html

Hope this helps! :)

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2371

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hmm i had a look at your links, it looks very much like a cypress. So weird i always thought it was part of the juniper species. Thanks for the links!!

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2375

• malaqias
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys.
The tree is not the most beautiful, as you said but i'd say it has some potencial whith that split trunk. And the rock also gives it a nice feel.
What are your plans for this tree? Are you just going to let it recover for now?

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2377

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Jon,

You're right, it is similar looking to the Juniper however, it was the form of the scale-like leaves that made me think Cypress. Yet, don't take my word on this...I would see what some of the other members here have to say as they're more experienced with the conifers than I am.:whistle:

Malaquias is right...this does have potential. Are you thinking "cascade"? Much better angle you have it on now. How much of the roots did you remove in referrence to the "soak 2" photo. Were you able to loosen that root ball anymore?B)

Last edit: Post by Leslie.

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2381

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would like to be annoying. I think it is a very nice tree. I am on my 10 inch travel-top right now, so have a hard time viewing the pictures clearly. When home I will see about a style suggestion. Maybe maenwhile you could post a pic showing the whole plant as it is now? (or is it there already :D Dificult viewing here).

In line with my currentl location.. is it not a chinese juniperus? toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/juniperus_chinensis.htm

Junipers in general like rocky corse nutrient-poor rooting media.

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2383

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah the last photos are the tree once it was re-potted, im thinking of doing a cascade definately its just that i must think about branch positioning and what branches i want to take off. I am going to leave the tree to recover for now as i pruned the roots quite heavily. Leslie i aimed to take about a quarter (1/4) of the roots off but i think i might have taken more, maybe half because those roots were incredibly packed and difficult to get apart, i literaly had to tear the roots apart and when i did that they just broke and tore to peices unfortunately..

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2412

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The more I look at this plant the more I am convinced it would be very suitable for a wind-swept style. If you look at the two main branches on it, you see they are both bend with almost perfect 90 degree angles, and you could most likely align them quite well. The branch going up seems to have a small side-branch. You can create a third main foliage cluster from that.

At the base of the tree it looks like a bit of the bark has died. Consider using that once the tree has recovered from your work now, and slowly try to get a strip of bark-less branch going all the way to the foliage. THat will look like extreme winds have eroded the bark off the wind-facing side of the tree.

I would however not do any serious trimming or wiring of foliage pads now. In a month or so, when growth starts to come back, you could consider a few pulling lines to get the main branches aligned. I think this tree will need repotting later to get a convincing effect however..

Will get around to a suggestion sketch this weekend maybe

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2413

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Jelle (aka:leatherback),

You?...Annoying? Never! :ohmy: Your input, help and suggestions are far too valuable and greatly appreciated here on the forum ;) !

By-the-way...your idea for Jon's Juniper is brilliant! :cheer:

Re: New Juniper Repot 12 years 5 months ago #2414

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks leatherback that is a great idea, i agree on not doing any work on it for now, i will leave the plant to get strong again and show good signs of new growth

• Page: