Chinese Maple odd looking leaves

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by joncoh101 on topic Re: Chinese Maple odd looking leaves

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2397
Haha thanks for the help guys. Leslie i will do that, ill start by cutting the infected looking leaves off first
by joncoh101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2652
Hey guys, just thought i would let you know the progress on my TRIDENT maple :) Today i drove to the local bonsai nursery with my tree because i was too worried to let it sit there crying every morning that i inspected it.

SO, i got informed of some very interesting information that i have not even read before, well i probably just didnt take it in when i read my books. The owner of the Bishopsford nursery and i had a good look at the tree and we looked at a list of descriptions of nutrient deficiencies. We came to the conclusion that the tree might very well be lacking in magnesium, a micro nutrient. (Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Pottasium are the Macro elements that plants need, then the trace elements like magnesium, calcium, zinc etc are the micro nutrients)

So we were still not certain what nutrient the plant was lacking however he just suggested that i use a certain liquid fertiliser that has all the elements needed. I am not one for liquid fertilisers but it turns out i will need to use it because the product i use called Bounceback seems to not have enough of the trace elements in it, it has more macro nutrients.

Also my tree might very well have a fungal infection, NOW this is interesting i never knew this, it turns out that trees that are malnourished turn out to have fungal infections and vice versa because when a tree is malnourished it is too weak so the plant cells allow the fungis to attack. So i bought a fungicide that can be absorbed through the roots and leaves. I shall apply both the fungicide and the fertiliser tongight once the roots of my trees have cooled down.

Cheers guys hope you learned something
by joncoh101

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Chinese Maple odd looking leaves

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2653
cool glad to know your back on track...by the way you mentioning micro nutrients reminded me of the demonstration i went to this summer.the conversation was about the use of certain fertalizers for certain trees.to make a long conversation short...the use of many types of fertalizers is the most benefitial way of fertalizing.this is because each type of fert. has different types and concentrations of trace elements that are benefitial to all trees. she basically said if you have fert. for pines put it on your deciduous trees if you have fert for flowering trees put it on your pines ect..you get the idea.it made alot of sence to me
by manofthetrees

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2665
Yes makes sense, its just irratating i find to use liquid fertiliser haha, its something i have to get used to
by joncoh101

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Chinese Maple odd looking leaves

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2667
Hmmmm...I didn't know the leaf-browning could be caused by the roots drying out. Thanks LB for that info. My plant is still in its nursery pot with standard potting soil and it has dried out a few times. :pinch:

Jon, yes...the micro nutrients are just as important as the macro so a good balanced liquid fertilizer is, in my opinion, the way to go. Why is that irritating? What method of watering do you use for your plants? :huh:
by Leslie

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2669
Liquid fertiliser is just more dangerous in terms of burning roots, ah i duno im just being stubborn, i just like putting solid pellets on, i water with a garden house and attachment
by joncoh101

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2673
Hi Jon, :)

Root burn usually happens when fertilizer is applied to dried out soil and roots so be sure to water your plants before fertilizing. (That's something I didn't know until recently!)

The water from a hose is generally extremely cold! :pinch: That's quite a shock to your plants considering the dry heat of your climate. Try using tepid water and a watering jug that has a pouring spout with a nice, gentle spray. I find that watering in this manner I develope a much closer intimacy with each individual plant...especially when feeding with a liquid type fertilizer. :P
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Chinese Maple odd looking leaves

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2679

Leslie wrote:
The water from a hose is generally extremely cold!

Although I 100% agree with using tepid water (It also enters dried out soil much easier - All my plants indoors get luke-warm water), water from a hose is not by definition really cold. Especially in some parts of south africa you will find above-ground mains, and in summer the water can get fairly warm; Where I used to live, we did not have a hot water tap, and the showers in the evening were always comfortable ...
by leatherback

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2688
Huh! Thanks for the info J. I didn't know about the tepid water being absorbed easier nor the system of water distribution in Africa.

Using water from a hose here in Canada is pretty cold...especially if the water is being drawn directly from an undergound well - then it's darn-right freezing!!! :woohoo:
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Chinese Maple odd looking leaves

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #2689
Hi Leslie,

SUrface tension of cold water is higher than of warmer water. As a result, warmer water mixes more easily and enters the soil better.
by leatherback