Bonsai forum

New Bonsai

• Racek87
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New Bonsai was created by Racek87

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2387
I just recently started doing bonsai. I have a few jack pine seeds that I'm waiting to sprout and I'm looking into possibly getting a cherry tree from a nursery. But one of the trees I really want to do is a Weeping Willow. I've heard these are hard to bonsai. Is this true and does anyone have any tips if I do go ahead with that?
by Racek87

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: New Bonsai

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2389
Weeping willow are fast growing trees. they really aren't good for beginners because of that and because they need almost constant leaf pruning during the growing season. they need to be re-potted and root pruned twice a year.
Because they grow so fast it is fairly hard to make them "weep".
if you want to do one then go ahead. They root very easily.
I rooted a bunch in water this past spring. I just put them in water until I saw roots then planted them.
They are great trees to practice on :)
Good luck.
Lance
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Pinkham
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Pinkham.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: New Bonsai

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2390
Hi Racek87,

Welcome to the forum...glad you could join us. :cheer:

Pinkham gave you some good advice about the Willow as they are great to practice on and root very easily. Depending on one's perspective, perhaps the fact that they are fast growers may be a good thing for a beginner simply because they provide more time and work on them. With the slower growing trees the challenge is often learning the patience to wait for the tree to be ready for pruning, trimming, repotting and root pruning.

Hey, if you get a chance, pop over the *Bonsai Cafe* section of the forum under the thread "Introduce Yourself" and tell us a little about yourself. ;)
by Leslie