Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: birthday gift 12 years 4 months ago #2626

• daniele
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here in France carmona is difficult tree, in warmer countries it is probably an easy tree .
Us, we must compensate for lack of heat and especially the lack of light, therefore it's difficult to cultivate.
I did not discourage our friend :blush: sorry.

Youri, is it possible to add geolocation under the alias for consistent answers from geographical position of each ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: birthday gift 12 years 4 months ago #2627

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
haha, no sorry's ;) It's just good to tell people what they can expect, if you say it's easy and it isn't, it will turn out not good.

I live in Holland, but it's an indoor tree and under the right care it is not a very difficult tree, only carmona's doesn't like big root prunes, so be careful with that. I've mine now for 2 years and sometimes it has dropped its leaves because I had the ground dried out too much or something else, but I know what it hates now, so I'll never let the soil dry out again.

Yes, it's possible to add geolocation. On your profile you can add your location and your hardiness zone (hardiness zone is the zone you live in with the average minimum temperatures, if you don't know in which hardiness zone you live, just search hardiness zone and then your location and you'll find it).

Here's a link where you can see the hardiness zone's in europe:
www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze.html

Remember the link, if someone then asks for example how to survive the trees in winter, you can look up on his profile the hardiness zone (if he has added that) and you can look up in the link what minimum temperatures that are.

Hope this helps!

Last edit: Post by Youri1995.

Re: birthday gift 12 years 4 months ago #2631

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Happy Birthday, Meadybum! :cheer: Hope Your day was great!

What a lovely gift and such a beautiful Fukien Tea! I'm sooo jealous! ;) I don't see any brown leaves tho. I see lots of pale green leaves which means new growth and even some flowers! First of all your new tree needs about two weeks to get used to it's new home as this too is stressful for any tree. So during this period I would not do anything to your tree other than water to keep the soil moist but not soggy and observe it every day. If you have any concerns just post them here...as well as exciting stuff too! :lol:

After this two or three week period of rest, check the soil; if it seems to be a dense, clay-like type of soil then change the soil to a good draining bonsai mix with some organic material to retain some moisture such as shredded fir. Very carefully remove as much of the old soil from the roots using a chopstick. Gently push the chopstick into an outer section of the root ball and gently wiggle the stick to loosen soil. Do not poke the stick in and out of the root ball as this may damage tender rootlets. Your primary focus is to remove as much of the old soil as possible with as little disturbance to the roots as possible.

Once you have repotted your new Fukien it will need a recovery period by placing it in bright, indirect light near a sunny window for two to three weeks. Then you can gradually move it into direct sunlight.

Fukiens can be a little *fussy* compared to most other bonsai species however, with proper care you will have no problem! It is very important to research your tree in order to care for it properly and to keep it healthy and happy. The link Youri shared with you is excellent. Here are a few more links that may help as well...with some photos.
www.mellobonsai.com/care/Fukien-tea-bonsai.aspx
www.bonsaihunk.us/info/FukienTea.html
www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask questions, okay? That what this forum is all about! ;) I look forward to following your Fukien's progress!

Re: birthday gift 12 years 4 months ago #2632

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Oh! I almost forgot! Welcome to the forum, Meadybum! So glad you could join us! :P When you get a chance, saunter on over to the *Bonsai Cafe* section of the forum. Under the topic *Introduce Youself* we would love hear a little about you...where you are from, what do you do, things you like...whatever! :lol: There is even a topic in the same section where you can introduce you pet(s) too! :woohoo:

• Page: