Bonsai forum

Moving from a tropical climate

• Swayze
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Moving from a tropical climate was created by Swayze

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #2857
I have several 1-3 year old Royal Poinciana (flame tree) and Pomegrenate saplings that I have cultivated for bonsai. I currently live on the very tropical island of Guam. I have to move to a not so tropical Monterey Ca next year.

Does anyone have any experiace with moveing/shipping trees, also moving the tree to a not so tropical climate? or perhapes creating a sutable climte in a non-tropical zone?
by Swayze

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aklister71
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by aklister71 on topic Re: Moving from a tropical climate

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #2861
:blink: That is quite a move. I don't know too much about shipping trees. I am not sure how much research you did, soooo ... :silly: .. for you and others reading this post --- I did a little.:woohoo:

Monterey, CA USDA Hardiness Zone is 7-10. It may drop to between 0-10 degrees fahrenheit.

The Pomegranite would do fine outside, although you may want to protect the roots the first year. The Pomegranete does best in USDA Hardiness Zones 7-10. Not sure when you are moving - either way, the trees may need a slow transition from the usual temp in Guam to that in Monterey.

The Royal Poinciana may be more difficult. They sell grow lights you can use when the tree is inside. The also have plans for a mini-greenhouse for inside. The Royal Poinciana won't survive at temps under 45 degrees fahrenheit. USDA Hardiness Zones 10-12. You may be able to move this tree outside in the summer and ensure daily misting.
Last Edit:12 years 4 months ago by aklister71
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by aklister71.

• Swayze
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Swayze on topic Re: Moving from a tropical climate

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #2864
Thanks for looking into the zones. I thought I would have to set up some sort of in house green room or maybee rig up a well lit window and store them in there. I guess I will have to look into a place with some good light or room for a small out door green house.
by Swayze

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Moving from a tropical climate

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #2876
Hi Swayze! :)

Welcome to the forum...so glad you could join us!

Whoa! :ohmy: That will be quite the climate shock for you! I don't know much about shipping either. It's definitely something you will need to research. Your plants will need to be very well packed in some sort of crate so they don't bounce around and spill. Maybe enclosing the pots individually in plastic bags and tied at the trunk base; lots of packing material around and in between the pots and sides of the crates/boxes.

Once you are in Montery, CA your tropical plant(s) should do fine in the house providing, as you say, you have some large, sunny windows that face South or South/East. Perhaps you will be fortunate enough to find a house with a solarium room attached! ;)
by Leslie