Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

feeding / getting the goodness back into the soil 12 years 10 months ago #304

• morpheus83uk
  • morpheus83uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I am wondering what I do about feeding my Bonsai as I am watering it its growing very well and I am making sure the soil is not dry and keeping it in sunlight / half shade as per another post on here.

I am wondering what sort of food to get my bonsai how often to feed it and what to feed it with? I have head something about 777 or something?

Also I believe as my Bonsai is in a pot the Bonsai gets goodness from the soil so I am wondering how I keep the goodness in there for teh Bonsai to stay alive and once again how often would I need to do that?

I may have just asked the same questions twice there but I dont know as I am new to all this (as you can probbaly tell)

Any help is much appreciated.

Many Thanks

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: feeding / getting the goodness back into the soil 12 years 10 months ago #306

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy James,

check out the thread labeled "FEED" in this section I explain everything you may want to know.:P I really don't want to type it again. any other ? and i'll be happy to answer

Re: feeding / getting the goodness back into the soil 12 years 10 months ago #310

• Oscar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
Did you find the info you needed James? The fertilizing section on this website (under "Care") might be helpful as well.

Re: feeding / getting the goodness back into the soil 12 years 10 months ago #321

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Well, what fertilizer you use depends on what your bonsai is. I got into this by purchasing a bonsai "seed kit". (Do not do this! I was lucky enough to get mine from a reputable dealer in Disney's Epcot. If you get one from just a mall store, it probably won't sprout like mine did.) It contained a bunch of azalea seeds. I still don't know what kind of azalea, but I am lucky in that my local Meijer garden center carries an azalea slow-release soil acidifier and fertilizer. I don't use the full dosage because my plants are so small, but it works. See if you can find something for your plant before testing random products. 777 is the NPK content, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. The concentration changes depending on the season. For instance, my spring mix has a high N and low PK. Also, you will need to change the soil every couple of years. There are guides for repotting and root pruning, but the general idea is to give your tree room to grow for another few years, as well as add a little extra nutrients and allow the water to pass through a little more freely. I personally purchased the Reader's Digest "Bonsai Secrets" to teach me all of this. You don't have to get that exact book, but it's a good idea to have a guide of some kind. If you find a great internet site, that's fine too, as long as it has the information you need.

Re: feeding / getting the goodness back into the soil 12 years 9 months ago #413

• morpheus83uk
Hello,

Thank you for your replies and sorry its taken a while to respond I have been busy! I will take a look at them and get back if I have any questions :)

Many Thanks

James

Re: feeding / getting the goodness back into the soil 12 years 9 months ago #414

• morpheus83uk
I have had a look at the posts you have recommended.

Basically I should just get a good all round fertaliser and follow the instuctions for use and how often to apply it? something like 555 or 777?

Could you point me in the right direction for a place to purchase some in the UK where its quite cheap but good?

Many Thanks

James

Re: feeding / getting the goodness back into the soil 12 years 9 months ago #417

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Here is a site (UK): www.bonsaiuk.co.uk/bonsai-fertilisers-c-46.html

Good luck! :)

• Page: