Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3089

• Rebekah
  • Rebekah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

I was given a trident maple (TM) for a Christmas present about ten days ago. It has been left inside in a dark area and sprayed every day since. It looks sick! Most of the leaves have discoloured and a large number have fallen off.

I have moved the TM outside to give it some sunlight, it doesn't look any better.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please see attached pics.

Bek

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3092

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Why in a dark area?
here is a link to get you started.
www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/AcerBuergerianum.html

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3097

• Rebekah
  • Rebekah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I assumed it was an indoor plant and thought it would be ok to leave it in a room that doesn't get much sunlight. The instructions didn't say anything about sunlight.

The link you sent me said that it should be moved to full sunlight so I've done that.

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3099

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Rebekah, :cheer:

First of all, welcome to the forum...so glad you could join us. Also, thanks for the great quality photos which really help us to help you.

It would also be helpful to know where abouts in the world you live so we may know what your climate is like...temperate, sub-tropical or tropical. I see in your one photo that you have lush, green grass growing. It is very important to research your tree in order to know it's own unique needs and, to know that many trees have very different needs according to their place of origin.

If you have any questions at all, this is the place to ask. There is always someone who can either answer your question directly or share a link with you. This website (Bonsai Empire) has a wealth of information for you to view and read and can be easily accessed through the Main Menu listed in the upper left corner of this page or by moving your cursor over the Menu topics listed in the very top bar of this page, just under the Bonsai Empire's name and logo.

If you like, it would be great if you dropped into the "Bonsai Cafe" section of the forum, find the topic "Introduce Yourself" and share a bit about yourself with the other members. Looking forward to seeing you on the forum! :)

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3104

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Ok Rebekah it seems as if that tree does not do well as an indoor plant, it is not getting enough light indoors and probably not enough fresh air, we humans do not realise but the insides of houses have a very dry air environment so plants struggle, it is also very warm inside. Some plants can grow indoors but some cant such as Maples. These trees need a proper dormancy period and they cannot have these indoors because it is constantly warm inside and the temperatures are changing too rapidly!

My advise to you would be to put the tree outside like you have done.. BUT, place the tree in a place in which it is shady the whole day but gets JUST a little light, the tree needs to adjust to the outdoors climate first, it cannot go from zero to hero in just a few days, that is why you have not seen an improvement on the tree yet either. Do not fertilise the tree as it is weak, and do not over water the tree but watch it to see if the soil is drying out, keep it at the perfect damp level but not too damp. It will probably take a few weeks for the tree to show signs of improvement but be patient, its hard i know but its worth it in the end, sorry for dictating so much haha! Good Luck! :) Hope this helped

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3105

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Let me add to that, when i say shade the whole day i mean "dappled" shade, basically the light is shining on the tree but it has partial shade

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3107

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Nicely said jon :cheer:, I'm sure that will help Rebekah. I enjoyed air layering with you today :P

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 4 months ago #3116

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hahaha yes Mark

Re: Sick Trident Maple 12 years 3 months ago #3374

• Bensai
  • Thanks received: 2
I too am interested where you live that has Trident Maples in full green leaf at this time of year - I am quite jealous...

Anyway, I don't think your tree is stricken with any disease or pest problem if that's what you are concerned about. It sounds like it has struggled for sunlight, and the indoor environment has confused it somewhat. Maples are very hardy, and even through extreme shock may even drop all of their leaves, and then come back beautifully in the Spring. I think the advice here is well stated. It needs some moisture (not saturation!) and some sunlight. It also needs to experience the outdoor climate for a healthy dormancy cycle. Again - where or what zone do you live?

• Page: